Wednesday, January 28, 2009

2009 - Day 28 - A Reflection of Christ

January 28, 2009 … Swindoll’s Topic for Today: A Reflection of Christ

Passage of the Day: Genesis 43: 33 – 34 ...
33 And they sat before him, the firstborn according to his birthright and the youngest according to his youth; and the men looked in astonishment at one another. 34 Then he took servings to them from before him, but Benjamin’s serving was five times as much as any of theirs. So they drank and were merry with him.

My Journal for Today: Today, emphasizing Joseph being a picture of the mercy and grace of our Lord, Jesus, Swindoll closes his devotional entry, reinforcing what he spoke of yesterday: …

First Swindoll makes reference to the passage in Isaiah 30: 18, certainly appropriate for this study …

Therefore the LORD will wait, that He may be gracious to you;
And therefore He will be exalted, that He may have mercy on you.
For the LORD is a God of justice;
Blessed are all those who wait for Him.

Then Swindoll continues … “Do you long for Him [i.e., Christ]? I’ve got great news! In an even greater way – greater than you could ever imagine – [our Lord] longs to be gracious to you. He is offering you all the things you hunger for. The table is loaded, and He is smiling, … waiting for you to sit down and enjoy the feast He prepared with you in mind. Have a seat – grace is being served.”

As we pointed toward in yesterday’s devotional, that is the picture we get from meditating on this segment of Genesis 43, where Joseph’s brothers, being convicted and repenting of their past treatment of Joseph, were treated, without knowing all there was to know of their brother, to an overflowing and limitless abundance of grace from this lord of the king’s household.

As Swindoll repeats today, can we see ourselves at our Lord’s table of mercy and grace? Because if/when we can, we will find that, with our being receptive to His mercy, we can join in with THE LORD of God’s kingdom, dining with Him in His abundance forever. That is the message of Rev. 3: 20 – 21, which states, …

20 Behold, I [The Lord] stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. 21 To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.

Is that not the coolest prospect one could imagine, especially since I deserve nothing short of death for what my sinful life represents? Well, I don’t know about you, but I pray that my life is lived by being willing to open that door and letting my Lord in so that I can dine with Him – at His table.

My Prayer Today: Lord, come in and dine with me! Amen

No comments: