Monday, February 22, 2010

2010 – Feb. 22 – Unintentional Sin

Study from God’s Word Lev. 3: 1-17; Lev. 7: 11-21, 28-36; Lev. 17: 1-7; Lev. 4: 1-35 [Num. 15: 22-28]; Lev. 5: 1-13; Lev. 6: 24-30; Num. 15: 29-31 … Passage for Reflection: Leviticus 4: 27-28 … NIV " 'If a member of the community sins unintentionally and does what is forbidden in any of the LORD's commands, he is guilty. 28 When he is made aware of the sin he committed, he must bring as his offering for the sin he committed a female goat without defect.’ “

My Journal for Today: Is God way too tough on His children to make them atone for sins committed unintentionally? Well, from man’s point of view and since we’re all sinners in the sight of an absolutely Holy God [remember Romans 3: 23], one might want for our God to turn His head of judgment and look the other way for those things we do, especially unintentionally, which fall short of His mark of holiness. But, as God’s word makes it very clear, God cannot do this, being the mark of Holiness Who demands that anyone coming to Him must be presented to Him completely and utterly cleansed of sinfulness. But there’s only one way that can happen; and God has made a way.

Sure, we might say that it’s unfair for God to have such high standards now that we inherit the sin nature, naturally, from our sinner parents, Adam and Eve. But God’s standard is God’s standard; and so He set up this way for His people in ancient Israel to atone and be cleansed for their sins; and we read of this in today’s highlight passage. And if you’re a Christian today, aren’t you glad that God made a way – THE WAY – for our sins to be cleansed, once and for all, by the shedding of Christ’s blood on the cross? And we, who plead the blood of Christ, acknowledging our sinfulness and believing on the atoning sacrifice of Christ, will positionally be made right in God’s eyes forever. Do I sense a loud “HALLELUJAH!” from any reading here, joining me in my sense of gratefulness in this moment?

Now, we know that we are still sinners, … even those of us who have received God’s saving grace of mercy from our faith in what Christ did for us. And so, what about what we must do to make amends for our sin? And the word of God, from the Apostle John’s first letter is clear on that. And I hope you know – by heart – the wonderful words of promise from 1st John 1: 9, which states in the NIV, If we confess our sins, He [God] is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Wow! What a wondrous promise for a sinner like myself, … one who knows that I’m never going to be able to stand before my God, at any moment in time, without being able to plead the shed blood of my Lord and Savior, Who was sacrificed on that cross, shedding His blood, that I might be able to come to God and be cleansed of any sin, any time, any where … CLEANSED COMPLETELY … forever! But that means that I must do all I can to be aware of and keep short accounts for my sinfulness, … doing all I can to avoid sin; and then by confessing and pleading the blood of Jesus whenever I discover – intentionally or unintentionally – that I have transgressed in sin.

Oh, every day and in every way may I keep myself cleansed from my sin by my confession and contrition in God’s sight.

My Prayer for Today: Lord, You are so wondrously forgiving and merciful; and I’m so grateful to have a Savior, Who stood for me on that cross, shedding His blood that I may be cleansed from my sin and presented to You, dear Father, holy in Your sight. Amen

No comments: