Sunday, March 28, 2010

2010 – Mar. 28 – Calling All “Nobodies”

Study from God’s Word1st Samuel, Chapters 8 – 12 … Passage for Reflection: 1st Samuel 9: 21 … NIV 21 Saul answered, "But am I not a Benjamite, from the smallest tribe of Israel, and is not my clan the least of all the clans of the tribe of Benjamin? Why do you say such a thing to me?"

My Journal for Today: This whole process of God showing the people where they had gone astray by giving them what they asked for, a king, is most worthy of study and reflection, especially in a day when God’s people, the Church, are being very much like those Old Testament chosen peoples were being. Here we are, God’s anointed people, “the Church,” failing to follow our King of kings, Jesus, just like God’s people turned away from The Lord in Samuel’s day.

And I believe we, especially those of us here in the western world, are very much like the peoples of ancient Israel, clamoring for a “king” who can lead us to worldly glory. And in many respects, the leader we have called for personifies many of the qualities which Saul had when God elevated him to become the “king,” … the leader over God’s people.

But if you’re a student of the Bible; and you’ve read on ahead of the account of Saul, you know where this story leads. And I believe we’re being led by our own selfishness these days much as the Hebrews were being led in Saul’s day; and I think we’re going to see many of the same players on the stage of life, playing out their roles as God directs this playlet we will see unfold before us in our day. We have called for, and God has given us, our “king.” And this man stands above the crowd, appearing to be a leader of leaders.

Oh how humble he appeared to be as we sought after this leader; and Obama, like Saul of old, relented to our outcry and has take the role for which we so loudly have clamored for him to take. But now, he has taken up the scepter and has accepted the role of our national leader; and we’re going to have to accept what will transpire as the outflow of God allowing this man to become our “king.”

But we all have to ask ourselves, “What role will I play in this time of history? Am I one of those “nobodies” who has no purpose; or has God made me a child of THE KING for His good reason, … in His good time?” Of course, the latter is the truth. But we have to be willing to move onto the stage of life and assume the role which God has preordained for us in this drama we call life. And we cannot – and should not – try to hide in the background and deny the role God has for us to play.

We are not the world’s NOBODY! We are God’s SOMEBODY; and we must stand forth to be cast in that role for which God has called us to play. I pray that for myself and for all of us.

My Prayer for Today: Lord, show me my place on Your stage, that role You have waiting for me; and let me play out for Your glory in this life. Amen

No comments: