Saturday, October 02, 2010

2010 – October 2 – Inviting Bells

Study from God’s Word Zechariah, Chapters 9 - 14 … Passage for Reflection: Zechariah 14: 20 … NIV 20 On that day HOLY TO THE LORD will be inscribed on the bells of the horses, and the cooking pots in the LORD's house will be like the sacred bowls in front of the altar.

My Journal for Today: In these OT chapters, Zechariah is given two oracle prophesies involving the re-gathering of God’s people into the promised land and the coming death of The Messiah, which will bring salvation to the world. And in these prophetic pictures we see that the spiritual significance of “bells” in God’s word. The original context of bells in Scripture, as Dr. LaGard Smith points out in today’s devotional, were the bells worn by Aaron as he entered the Holy of Holies to announce his entrance into God’s presence. In today’s context, the bells show that God is announcing HIS presence to His people, especially since there is no need for mankind to go to a special place to find God or have a priest intervene on behalf of God’s children.

I hope we always recognize, and never lose our sense of gratitude, for what our Lord has done to give us direct access to Him through His Spirit. And here I am today – this very morning – here in my own holy of holies, sharing time and presence with the God of the Universe, … my Lord and Savior. I don’t have to go to the Temple because my heart is His Temple. I don’t have to let a worldly priest intervene for me to sacrifice a spotless lamb for me; because My Lord was/is the Lamb of God Who shed His blood for the remission of my sins. And so, here I am, in the very presence of God, listening for His Spirit touch my soul with His word and to impart His very mind into my life.

How great is that?! And I don’t think I need to go on here to dwell with words on this wonderful relationship I’ve been given just by my faith in the wondrous sacrifice of my Lord and Savior.

My Prayer for Today: All I can meekly muster is a sincere HALLELUJAH, dear Lord. Amen

No comments: