Saturday, March 19, 2011

March 19, 2011 … Looking Out for Others’ Interests First

Passage of the Day: Philippians 2: 4 [underlined] - Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. 4 Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.

My Journal for Today: In our fast-paced, self-indulgent, and information-flooded world and culture, it is very easy for anyone, including Christians, to get wrapped up in doing “our own thing” or putting our selves #1 in our own world. One can’t help but speculate that this is a deliberate battle strategy of our enemy to let the “tyranny of the urgent” or “the power of the personal” overcome and/or interfere with the priorities we should be setting based on our desire to walk in worthiness with Christ (again see Eph. 4: 1 – 2).

However, this was probably also the case in Paul’s day as well; and in today’s verse, we read him exhorting believers to avoid such a self-centered focus. I must admit that it’s all too easy to become enveloped in one’s own goals, projects, and even ministry efforts, … to the exclusion of considering the aspirations, interests, and yes, even the needs, of brothers/sisters in Christ or the ultimate needs of the lost Christians, who are headed to hell if we don’t let God use us to consider their horrible fate.

Paul’s words in the highlight passage for today have me GUILTY AS CONVICTED by God’s Spirit to open up my heart and mind, as well as my plans/actions, to include more consideration for the “interests of others.” I need to pray that God will prick my heart with more sensitivity … that I will slow down and put out my spiritual antennae … and that I will take action when I see any unmet need or a hurting soul, especially in the lives of fellow believers (see Galatians 6: 9 – 10 [linked for review]).

Certainly, as I go about my day-to-day life, my eyes are going to encounter the eyes of others who are lost and destined for hell unless someone, like yours truly is used by God to break through and help them see their need for the Lord. One of my favorite contemporary Christian songs is People Need the Lord [linked here for your viewing on You Tube]. Perhaps in this quiet moment as you’ve come to read what I’ve shared here today, you’ll take just a few moments, click on that link, and let God’s Spirit speak to yours in this video.

My Prayer Today: Lord, help me to slow down and to see more clearly the needs of others, especially to those who need You, Lord. Amen

No comments: