Saturday, April 02, 2011

April 2, 2011 … Peter’s Impulsive Self-confidence

Passage of the Day: Matthew 26: 33 … Peter replied [to the prophesy of Jesus that all of His disciples would flee in denial that night], "Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will."

My Journal for Today: Of the twelve original disciples, I often identify with Peter the most … with his brash, impulsive, foot-in-mouth approach to life … and even toward Jesus, his Rabbi, his Master, and yes, even his Messiah. However, there is one major difference between me and the Peter who brazenly declared he would never “fall away” from supporting Christ. I know that I am quite capable of failing my Lord.


Given the right, or should I say, “wrong” circumstances, I could be the weakling who would fall into selfish retreat. Peter simply could not see himself as being weak enough to flee His Lord; but most certainly I know that I could. The advantage I have in my life now over Peter at the time he spoke today’s passage, is that I know beyond a shadow-of-a-doubt that I have the Holy Spirit residing in my soul, who can, in moments of my weakness, give me the strength to take on the challenges of life where I know I might, in my own capabilities, fall short of what it takes to follow my Savior. I know, and believe, the truths of 1st Cor. 10: 13 and 2nd Cor. 12: 9; and so, I actually have a faith advantage in my life that even Peter didn’t have at this moment of crisis in his life in the upper room with Jesus. [And I hope you have these verses memorized by now!] ...


SCRIPTURE: 1st Cor. 10: 13No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

SCRIPTURE: 2nd Cor. 12: 9 But He [Jesus] said to me [Paul], "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."


I also have the advantage of “reading ahead” in Peter’s life, knowing the outcome of his relationship with His Lord days after Peter’s fateful denial of Christ. In John 21: 15 – 19 - [linked here], we read of Jesus’ post-resurrection appearance to Peter, where Christ gave Peter three opportunities to be restored with declarations of love to his Lord, …once for each of the three times Peter had denied Jesus when he ran during the confrontation with the soldiers and people in the garden.


Don’t you just love it that we have a Savior Who will love even a turncoat sinner like Peter, or one who could easily run in fear in the same way, like me, … a Savior Who will, in mercy and grace, completely restore into fellowship an impulsive hothead like Peter. It is the picture of the merciful Savior, full of grace, Who will allow sinners to be reclaimed by what He accomplished on the cross. It is the fulfillment of what we read in 1st John 1: 9 about our absolute cleansing upon the confession of our sins. Wow! What a Lord Peter served! … and so do we !!


My Prayer Today: O, my Lord, You are my blessed redeemer. Amen

No comments: