Friday, May 06, 2011

May 6, 2011 … Trial’s Lessons: Contentment

Passage of the Day: Hebrews 11: 24 - 27 … [Note verse 26 in bold] ... 24 By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be known as the son of Pharaoh's daughter. 25 He chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a short time. 26 He regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward. 27 By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the king's anger; he persevered because he saw Him who is invisible.

My Journal for Today: In the 21st century, post-modern culture in which we live, most of us will do anything we can to circumvent trials or to prevent pain, especially when we’re in a position where we can take “the easy way” out or we can manipulate the circumstances in our favor to avoid pain and suffering. How many medication commercials, especially for pain killers do we see on TV?

Moses was also into such a culture of opulence, materialism, and power, being raised as a prince in the court of pharaoh. He had been insulated from the sufferings of his Hebrew birthright as a young man. But God showed Moses that he would have to participate in the trials and tribulations of his birth culture to appreciate his destiny and so that Moses’ trust would only be in the God Who would deliver His children from bondage (see today’s passage).

And that is the message that Jesus pointedly taught His people (see Matt. 6: 24) … that NO ONE can serve both Go and riches (including power or sensationalism). It is in our nature – our sin nature – however, to rely on position, power, money, or pleasure to avoid troubles or to dampen the pain or suffering in our lives. But it is only God who can give us the light and life we seek.

As I meditate on what Moses did in faith, following God’s leading, I’m drawn once again to the words of the old hymn, written by Helen Lemmel in 1918, … Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus; and as I do often during my morning devotionals, I’ve gone to listen to this old hymn on my Ipod with my earphones so that I won’t waken my dear wife, Elly, who sleeps so peacefully near me. What a song to bring contentment, especially in light of my love sleeping so peacefully near me. This is contentment; but nothing compared to that brought about by the same God who delivered Moses and God’s people from oppression. Oh, how I pray these thoughts on all who might read here.

---------------
Turn your eyes upon Jesus, …
Look full in his wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim, …
In the light of His glory and grace.

---------------

It’s only when we, like Moses, come to focus all our life on our God that the trials and troubles of this world can be dimmed by the light of His love and grace.

My Prayer Today: You are my only Light, dear Lord. Amen


No comments: