Sunday, January 08, 2012

January 8, 2012 … My Redeemer Lives

Passage of the Day: Chapter/Verse Reference: Job, Chapters 17-20 … To study these chapters, go to this link -
Study Passage: Job 17: [Job to his three critics]
10 "But come on, all of you, try again! I will not find a wise man among you.

Study Passage: Job 18: [Bildad’s reply to Job]
2 "When will you end these speeches? Be sensible, and then we can talk.
3 Why are we regarded as cattle and considered stupid in your sight?

Study Passage: Job 19: Job 19: … [Job’s response to Bildad]
21 "Have pity on me, my friends, have pity, for the hand of God has struck me.
22 Why do you pursue me as God does? Will you never get enough of my flesh?
23 "Oh, that my words were recorded, that they were written on a scroll,
24 that they were inscribed with an iron tool on lead, or engraved in rock forever!
25 I know that my redeemer lives, and that in the end He will stand on the earth.
26 And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God; …

Study Passage: Job 20: [Zophar to Job]
6 Though the pride of the godless person reaches to the heavens and his head touches the clouds,
7 he will perish forever, like his own dung; those who have seen him will say, 'Where is he?'


My Journal for Today: Back and forth it goes [in this case in my reading today between Job and two of his critics]. Job’s so-called “friends” keep coming at poor Job, so beaten down and yet, holding on to his faith. And note that Job still calls these men his “friends” in spite of his frustration and pain from their criticisms. I really don’t think I could have been so charitable. If fact I often refer to these three dudes as “Job’s three stooges,” which is certainly not the Christlike attitude to which I should aspire.

But we have to try to understand that these men held onto the prevailing theological ideas of their day about salvation, redemption, and how God treats sin; and in order for them to understand why Job was being treated – by God – these men simply were expressing the prevailing attitude that God punishes wickedness and sin the way Job was being broken.

But through all of this comes one of the most startling statements of faith in all of the Old Testament. Here was a man, Job, who was bodily broken, … who had lost everything of earthly value to him, … and one who was pushed aside and railed against by his wife and friends over and over again; and a man who was confused by how God seemed to be treating him, … a righteous man (in his own eyes). Actually Zophar’s pronouncement above in Chapter 20 would seem logical … that God was treating Job like human feces. But in the midst of all of this, what was Job’s clarion declaration?

Say it with me (from the emboldened verse above in Job 19: 25a, Job says …

”I KNOW THAT MY REDEEMER LIVES!”

And anything I would blog or journal here would detract from that incredible truth and pronouncement of faith. And so, let me just pray that we all, no matter what our life may be presenting us, can sing along with Nicole C. Mullen, as I listen to her from this You Tube piece, I know that my Redeemer lives!linked here for your meditation in song.

My Prayer Today: … You live, Lord! HALLELUJAH!!! Amen

No comments: