Sunday, August 12, 2012

August 12, 2012 … False Teachers Will Pay

Chronological Bible Reading Plan - Day 225 

Passage of the Day: Reference of Today’s Chronological Bible Study: Jeremiah 18-22 [NIV] To study these chapters, go to this link -
 ============

Highlight Passage: Jeremiah 23: 1-8; 25-29; 38-39 :[NIV] … 1 "Woe to the shepherds who are destroying and scattering the sheep of my pasture!" declares the Lord.2 Therefore this is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says to the shepherds who tend my people: "Because you have scattered my flock and driven them away and have not bestowed care on them, I will bestow punishment on you for the evil you have done," declares the Lord.3 "I myself will gather the remnant of my flock out of all the countries where I have driven them and will bring them back to their pasture, where they will be fruitful and increase in number.4 I will place shepherds over them who will tend them, and they will no longer be afraid or terrified, nor will any be missing," declares the Lord. 5 "The days are coming," declares the Lord, "when I will raise up for David a righteous Branch, a King who will reign wisely and do what is just and right in the land. 6 In his days Judah will be saved and Israel will live in safety. This is the name by which he will be called: The Lord Our Righteous Savior. 7 "So then, the days are coming," declares the Lord, "when people will no longer say, 'As surely as the Lord lives, who brought the Israelites up out of Egypt,' 8 but they will say, 'As surely as the Lord lives, who brought the descendants of Israel up out of the land of the north and out of all the countries where he had banished them.' Then they will live in their own land." … 25 [God, through Jeremiah, about false prophets] "I have heard what the prophets say who prophesy lies in my name. They say, 'I had a dream! I had a dream!' 26 How long will this continue in the hearts of these lying prophets, who prophesy the delusions of their own minds? 27 They think the dreams they tell one another will make my people forget my name, just as their ancestors forgot my name through Baal worship. 28 Let the prophet who has a dream recount the dream, but let the one who has my word speak it faithfully. For what has straw to do with grain?" declares the Lord. 29 "Is not my word like fire," declares the Lord, "and like a hammer that breaks a rock in pieces? … 38 Although you claim, 'This is a message from the Lord,' this is what the Lord says: You used the words, 'This is a message from the Lord,' even though I told you that you must not claim, 'This is a message from the Lord.' 39 Therefore, I will surely forget you and cast you out of my presence along with the city I gave to you and your ancestors. 40 I will bring on you everlasting disgrace—everlasting shame that will not be forgotten." 
============
Highlight Passage: Jeremiah 24 – see link above to study this chapter :[NIV] …
============
Highlight Passage: Jeremiah 25: 1-6 :[NIV] … 1 The word came to Jeremiah concerning all the people of Judah in the fourth year of Jehoiakim son of Josiah king of Judah, which was the first year of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon. 2 So Jeremiah the prophet said to all the people of Judah and to all those living in Jerusalem: 3 For twenty-three years—from the thirteenth year of Josiah son of Amon king of Judah until this very day—the word of the Lord has come to me and I have spoken to you again and again, but you have not listened. 4 And though the Lord has sent all his servants the prophets to you again and again, you have not listened or paid any attention. 5 They said, "Turn now, each of you, from your evil ways and your evil practices, and you can stay in the land the Lord gave to you and your ancestors for ever and ever. 6 Do not follow other gods to serve and worship them; do not arouse my anger with what your hands have made. Then I will not harm you."
============
Reference Study Passage : 2nd Timothy 4: 1-5 [NIV] To study these chapters, go to this link

My Journal for Today: More from Jeremiah’s book in today’s chronological reading assignment; and though Chapter 24 is a good history lesson in the accurate prophesies given to God’s people by poor Jeremiah; and Chapter 25 documents the patience and persistence and tenacity of Jeremiah bringing the word of God … FOR 23 YEARS … to listeners who were deaf to God’s truth, I want to concentrate my journaling today on Chapter 23 where God, through Jeremiah, lays out His case against unGodly leadership and false teachers.

This gets personal for me because I’ve been called into leadership (I’m an ordained Elder in my church) in God’s kingdom; and my primary spirit-given gift is teaching [see Eph. 4, 1st Cor. 12, Rom. 12]. So, what God had to say about leaders and teachers in Chapter 23 of Jeremiah (see highlighted passages copied above) speaks to my heart about the responsibility I have as a teacher/leader in the here and now of God’s kingdom. Both Peter and Paul in the New Testament wrote about this responsibility as they were confronting a lot of false teaching and Christians being misled by misguided church leaders. They, as did God, through Jeremiah, spoke of how God would judge harshly any false teachers; and Chapter 23 in Jeremiah lays this out very clearly.

It is grieving to me to see how many people get sucked into such things as New Age teachings, or false teachers, like Oprah or the gurus of Scientology, who lead people astray from the truth of God’s word. And then there are the millions who are being led to the door steps of hell by sects like Mormonism, Islam, far-eastern cults, and the like. And here is just one man, yours truly, doing all I can, along with other teachers of the true Gospel, to be true in my ministry and teaching of God’s word.

It is a daunting and sometimes harrowing task to be a Church Elder and a teacher of God’s truth today. And sometimes I have to admit feeling somewhat like Jeremiah must’ve felt (though I’m sure not so severely), teaching his heart out but having his words, i.e., God’s truth, falling on deafened ears.

But like Jeremiah, I will go on doing what God has called me to do, teaching God’s truth from His word, and praying that there will be ears to hear and hearts to be changed by the truth of God’s mighty Spirit Sword (see Isaiah 55: 11, 2nd Tim. 3: 16-17, Eph. 6: 18).

My Prayer Today: … Lord, give me Your strength to keep on keeping on as did your faithful servant, Jeremiah. Amen

No comments: