Wednesday, October 24, 2012

October 24, 2012 … He Calls, … We go!

Chronological Bible Reading Plan - Day 298

Passage of the Day: Reference of Today’s Chronological Bible Study: Luke, Chapters 10 To study these chapters, go to this link
 ============

Highlight Passages: Luke 10: 1-3; 17; 22-24; 25-37; 38-42 : [NLT] … { Luke records Jesus commissioning and charging a group of His disciples, 72 in number, to “GO” and share Jesus’ Good News of what they had seen, being witnesses for Christ. He gives them instructions; but the first instruction was TO PRAY for more workers. How do we see ourselves in this story … especially related to the Great Commission and Jesus’ charge in Acts 1:8 to be His witness in our world. } 1 The Lord now chose seventy-two£ other disciples and sent them on ahead in pairs to all the towns and villages he planned to visit. 2 These were his instructions to them: “The harvest is so great, but the workers are so few. Pray to the Lord who is in charge of the harvest, and ask him to send out more workers for his fields. 3 Go now, and remember that I am sending you out as lambs among wolves.  
{And the 72 returned, excited by how following Jesus’ commission and witness of His Gospel message touched the lives of others.}17 When the seventy-two disciples returned, they joyfully reported to Him, “Lord, even the demons obey us when we use your name!”  
{And Jesus told His disciples how they could/should get to know God, the Father, by knowing Him. But His disciples, even having the experience of witnessing in Christ’s Name and carrying the power of His Spirit could not fully grasp Who Jesus was. The question is, with the advantage of God’s word and His Spirit, do we? } 22 “My Father has given me authority over everything. No one really knows the Son except the Father, and no one really knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.” 23 Then when they were alone, he turned to the disciples and said, “How privileged you are to see what you have seen. 24 I tell you, many prophets and kings have longed to see and hear what you have seen and heard, ... but they could not.”  
{Then Luke relates two powerful stories from the teachings of Jesus, one of Him relating the parable of the Good Samaritan in Luke 10: 25-37 and the story of Jesus visiting His close friends in Capernaum, Lazarus, Martha, and Mary in Luke 10: 38-42. And I charge any reading here with me today to use the links above and study these stories closely and see with whom we identify in these revealing stories. Who are you in the parable? … the Priest? The Levite? The Good Samaritan? Or are we – as I identify with – the broken and beaten man on the road? … And in the story of Jesus visiting His friends, do we identify with Mary or Martha? When we see ourselves in Jesus’ stories, we can see who we are in Jesus’ mirror of truth and whom we need to become as His witnesses.
 ============

Reference Passage: Matthew 28: 19-20 To study this passage with our Great Commission, go to this link ...
Reference Passage: Acts 1: 8 To study this passage with our charge to witness, go to this link ... 

My Journal for Today: Only one chapter from Luke today in my chronological reading assignment; and I’m beginning to learn that when the editors of this year-of-reading through the Bible give me only one chapter, it’s for a reason. And that’s the case today.

I’m not going to add much to what I written above - in bold - in my analysis of the various sections of Luke 10. I just charge anyone reading along with me to dig into this chapter from Luke, the later Gentile witness for Christ, traveling with the Apostle Paul and other disciples, and to see where we, as Jesus’ now disciples, fit into His charge to His then disciples?

 Do we see ourselves as being called out, commissioned, and charged to do His work in the world? Well, I do; and I’ve added links to Matthew 28: 19-20 and Acts 1:8, where I see God calling, commissioning, and charging ME “TO GO” and witness in His Name, and using the power He has given me through His Spirit, just as He gave the 72 He called into today’s reading of Luke’s telling.

Do we see ourselves, as we go forth in His Name, having been picked up on the road through Samaria; and given healing and help by the “Good Samaritan,” Whom I see as Jesus, saving me from my brokenness to be His called witness and disciple? I have a story of how Jesus picked me up, broken/beaten, gave me healing, and then restored me to tell my story to others. What’s your story?

Do we see ourselves as Mary, being driven to worship at the feet of Jesus at every opportunity we can, which gives us the renewal of strength and the restoration of purpose we need to go forth and be His witnesses, sharing the Gospel with others in our lives.

Yes, there is a whole lot to take in this one day in Luke 10 to help us become the disciples and witnesses and worshippers we need to be to carry out God’s Great Commission for all of our lives.

My Prayer Today: … Lord, thank You for giving me the writings of Luke, the Physician, to help me know You more and to worship You by receiving and living out Your commission to worship You and witness of You to others … as I pray I’m doing here in this blog. Amen

No comments: