Tuesday, February 19, 2013

February 19, 2013 … Where're We Headed?

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2013 - Day 50

Passage of the Day: Psalms 17: 14a [in the context of verses 13-15] - [NLT] …  
13 Arise, O LORD! Stand against them and bring them to their knees! Rescue me from the wicked with Your sword! 14 Save me by Your mighty hand, O LORD, from those whose only concern is earthly gain. May they have their punishment in full. May their children inherit more of the same, and may the judgment continue to their children’s children. 15 But because I have done what is right, I will see You. When I awake, I will be fully satisfied, for I will see You face to face. 
============

Contextual Study of today’s passage: Psalms, Chapter 17 [NLT] … Go to this link … 
 ============

Reference Passage #1: Romans 12: 1-2 : [NKJV] …  
1  ... I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, … holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

My Journal for Today: When David, on the run from Saul, wrote the lyrics to Psalm 17, linked for your study above, especially Verse 14a the highlight verse for today’s devotional, he was in a somewhat desperate state of mind. And yet, here he was, pleading with God to keep his mind set on the Lord and for God to deliver him [David] from mind pursuits like those from the world, who were out to do him harm. David’s plea – for God’s deliverance from a pursuit of worldliness – is a good one for all of us as well.

When I read this morning and meditated on today’s plea from David, the Apostle Paul’s pleading for Christians in Romans 12: 1-2 (copied above from the NKJV) bubbled up from my memory immediately. Paul’s plea to and for Christians in his letter to the Romans is much the same in content as David’s plea for himself. David wanted to be protected from worldliness and a desire for the contentment that most in the world try to find in worldly power, wealth, possessions, or the pursuit of pleasure. David and Paul had come to realize that only the pursuit of knowing God and relating to the Lord deeply and intimately would produce fulfillment and contentment.

And so, … in the word (from God) in Psalm 17, or God’s charge through the Apostle Paul in Romans 12, we need to ask ourselves … WHERE ARE WE HEADED? ... Are we pursuing contentment as “carnal believers;” or are we in a headlong and dogged pursuit to know God, to follow Him, and to serve Him with ALL our might?

That was David’s pursuit. That was Paul’s pursuit. Is it ours?

My Prayer for Today … Lord, I want to know You … to follow You … and to serve You. Deliver me from the world which comes after me to do life their way. … Amen

No comments: