Thursday, June 27, 2013

June 27, 2013 … God’s Counselor of Truth

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2013 - Day 178

Passage of the Day #1: John 14: 26 [Christians have the counsel of truth from God’s Spirit through His word.] [NLT]  
26 “ … But when the Father sends the Counselor as my representative — and by the Counselor I mean the Holy Spirit — He will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I myself have told you.
============
 Contextual Study for today’s passages above: John, Chapter 14 [NLT] … Go to this link … 
============

Reference Passage #1: Joshua 1: 8 [Staying in God’s word gives us His counsel of truth.] [NLT] 8 Study this Book of the Law continually. Meditate on it day and night so you may be sure to obey all that is written in it. Only then will you succeed. 

Reference Passage #2: Isaiah 55: 11 [God’s word will always speak the power of truth into our lives.] [NLT]  
11 It is the same with My word. I send it out, and it always produces fruit. It will accomplish all I want it to, and it will prosper everywhere I send it.
 
Reference Passage #3: 2nd Timothy 3: 16-17 [God’s word provides all the information we need to deal with life.] [NLT]  
16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It straightens us out and teaches us to do what is right. 17 It is God’s way of preparing us in every way, fully equipped for every good thing God wants us to do.

Devotional Song: Go to this link  … Dear one, hear Kristyn Getty singing “Speak, O Lord” … And I beg you not to miss this!!

My Journal for Today: Please! I beg you. If you’re reading along with me here, take the 4 minutes necessary to go to the You Tube segment to which I’ve linked you above; and hear a lovely and powerful song which really summarizes and enlightens you to all I have to share in my journal entry for today. Because, … what I have to share today is not a new message with me. In fact, if you know me, having read my journal entries in the past and today, you’ll likely be saying “Old news!” from what I’m going to share.

My subject matter, and that conveyed by Kristyn Getty in the poignant song she and her brother present in the You Tube piece above, concerns the ministry of enlightenment of God’s Spirit through His word as well as how we can live a much more productive and fruitful life for God’s glory the deeper we’re into God’s word and the deeper God’s word is in our consciousness.

In truth that’s the very clear message Jesus was trying to convey to His disciples in the “Upper Room Discourse,” one passage of which is the highlight verse Os Hillman cites today. And it’s the repetitive message provided by all of the reference passages I have copied above for your review. In fact, as I copied and pasted the John 14: 26 passage into this journal entry this morning, the other reference passages I’ve cited above bubbled up into my consciousness from my memory and knowledge.

And what’s that all about? … Well, it’s really quite simple. God’s Spirit is our counselor of truth; and one of the main components of His ministry to our spirit as believers and born-again Christians is to guide us and protect our walk with Christ through the enlightenment of God’s word. That’s why God, when He was giving Joshua encouragement and conviction to take God’s people into the Promised Land, charged Joshua to BE in and STAY in God’s word continually to insure Joshua’s success in the task before him [see Joshua 1: 8 above].

And it’s why, in Isaiah 55: 11 and 2nd Tim. 3: 16-17above, we are told – BY GOD HIMSELF – that knowing and living by His truth (i.e., from His word), He will always give us what we need, in the way of conviction/direction, to accomplish God’s will for our lives. Now, the question is … do we believe God’s counselor – the Holy Spirit – Who is the inspired author of God’s word? Because if we do believe those passages above, as well as the message of that powerful song, we will do exactly what God told Joshua to do … and that is to go deep DAILY into God’s word so that we can know God more, love Him more, obey Him more, and serve Him with more power than we could ever serve Him without God’s Counselor of truth.

 I’ll leave it to you to decide if you’re going deep enough into God’s word to allow God’s counselor to guide your steps. Go meditate on Psalm 119, verse 105 and decide if God’s truth counselor is being the light unto your path which His word promises.

My Prayer for Today … Oh dear Holy Spirit, You light my path every day as I come here to go deeper and deeper into Your truth. … Amen

No comments: