Sunday, June 20, 2010

2010 – June 20 – The Moment of Truth

Study from God’s Word Amos, Chapters 1 – 4 … Passage for Reflection: Amos 4: 12 … NIV Therefore this is what I will do to you, Israel, and because I will do this to you, prepare to meet your God, O Israel.

My Journal for Today: This morning in my time in God's word, Dr. Smith reminded me of an image I used to see when our family traveled down to Florida from Indiana for winter vacations with my grandparents when I was a boy. And traveling through the South on those hazardous two-lane roads were billboards, some of them painted on the barns; and some of them had religious warnings, like, PREPARE TO MEET THY GOD! And given the hazardous passing my dad would have to make on those roads, that was probably a very pertinent warning.

However, I don’t think my dad or mother paid much attention to those signs, just like several of nations Amos was sent, as the Shepherd Prophet, to warn about God’s wrath likely ignored him. I can just imagine those religious leaders, like the high priest Amaziah, looking down their noses at Amos, the desert shepherd, ignoring everything he had to say. But I hope any who read with me here are not so blasé to ignore the question Dr. Smith posits at the end of his devotional today. So, take note today as LaGard Smith writes, If the close of the day should find me unexpectedly in eternity, am I ready for my ultimate moment of truth? … WELL, ARE YOU?

My friend, I don’t know about you; but on occasion I have contemplated that road-sign type warning along the roads of my life, asking myself if, when I see Jesus at that fateful time, will He say to me, “Well done, my good and faithful servant.” Yes, I’m sure of my salvation. as I hope (and will pray this morning) you are too. But is my life counting for something … for God’s glory; and am I paying attention and living according to God’s NT exhortation through Paul in Ephesians 5: 15 – 16 [linked here]. In other words, am I using God’s time, everyday being a gift from Him, following His way … from His word … and carrying out His will for my life. And that question drives me to come here every morning, to dig into God’s word each day, trying to find God’s light of direction so that my life will mean something for God’s kingdom in the midst of these trouble times.

So, when we read warnings to ancient Israel and Judah in the Old Testament, and as we can read from that so-called “minor prophet,” Amos, hopefully we can (and will) translate it to a motivation to do all we can for God’s glory.

My Prayer for Today: Lord, I pray that all who read with me in this place – beyond all doubt - know You as Lord and Savior and that we’re all following Your will to live for the Father’s glory. Amen

No comments: