Sunday, July 18, 2010

2010 – July 18 – No Wasted Words

Study from God’s Word Isaiah 54 - 56 … Passage for Reflection: Isaiah 55: 10 – 11 … NIV 10 As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, 11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

My Journal for Today: Did you know that verse 11 of today’s passage in Isaiah 55 is the hallmark and foundational verse of the Gideons International ministry. This incredible ministry, founded in 1899, has had an impact on the world only measured by God’s Spirit. Here is a statement from their website ( www.gideons.org ), which speaks of their mission:
• The mission of The Gideons International is to win the lost for Christ, and our unique method is the distribution of Scripture in selected streams of life. Gideons have placed or distributed more than 1.3 billion complete Bibles and New Testaments in more than 180 countries around the world . . . so far. Having God's Word can lead people to faith in Christ, and we invite you to explore this website to learn more about The Gideons and how you can help us provide God's Word.

The mission and outcomes of the Gideons are not a mystery as we read the power of truth coming from today’s highlight passage; because anytime the truth of God’s word is shared, preached, or taught anywhere where God’s will has the Lord’s direction, it will never come up void.

As Dr. Smith points out today, it can be frustrating sharing God’s truth, the Gospel, with those where it seems to be falling on deaf ears. We know from Jesus’ three parables, stated in Luke 15, that it is most certainly God’s desire that none be lost; and we also know that we, His Church, have been charged (by the Great Commission in Matt. 28: 19-20) to share the gospel message with all the world. Therefore, anytime we share the truth from God’s very word, especially the Gospel, no matter what may seem to be the human reaction – or lack thereof – we can know from today’s promise that our sharing, from God’s very word, was NOT for naught.

The Gideons have it right, my friend. God’s word is powerful, … very, very powerful, … much more powerful than it may appear to the human condition and circumstances [see Hebrews 4: 12]. That is why God charged Joshua, as we read in Joshua 1:8 to stay in “the Book of the Law” day and night as Joshua carried out God’s will to take His people into the promised land; because God was telling Joshua, as He’s telling us today, that anytime we declare or share the word of God for HIS mission on earth, it will be the power we need for success to God’s task. So, I charge you to go and memorize Joshua 1: 8 and internalize it’s truth; and then act on it for God’s glory!

Almost daily, if not weekly, in ministry to men who have trouble with human weakness in avoiding sin, I tell them the truth of Psalm 119: 11, which is a sinner who states, Your word I have in my heart that I might sin against You. Often in discipleship, I end up encouraging Christians to become more discerning by letting God’s word shine a light on their path (see Ps. 119: 105). And all too often I have to keep reminding myself that the only way I’m going to be able to avoid being conformed to the world, as was Paul’s exhortation in Romans 12: 2, is to surrender and let God’s Spirit transform my mind through the power of His word.

So, my dear one, I pray today that we all, who know Christ as Lord and Savior, keep trumpeting the truths of God from God’s Holy Word; and when we do, His power will blast forward for His purposes no matter what we may see – or not see – in the reactions of others. Keep on, keeping on, my friend … God’s word for His glory!!!

My Prayer for Today: Lord, help those who share with me here today to see that Your word is our sword in battle! Amen

No comments: