Friday, September 17, 2010

2010 – September 17 – Seeing Is Believing

Study from God’s Word Job, Chapters 38 – 42 … Passage for Reflection: Job 42: 4 – 6 … NIV 4 "You [God] said, 'Listen now, and I will speak; I will question you, and you shall answer me.' 5 My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you. 6 Therefore, I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes."

My Journal for Today: It is a truism that we humans may imagine something; but when we see something or experience it, our perspective changes. I was told that going to the Holy Land would change the way I read and studied the Bible. I could understand that – intellectually – but now that I’ve been to Israel, I can “see” the truth in why people call Israel the “fifth gospel.” To a great extent the old adage, “seeing is believing,” is greatly true. But to a great extent the opposite is also very true: One will never truly “see” something until he “believes” it first.

Dr. Smith in his devotional for today makes some powerful, and truth-bearing statements. He writes, “… its one thing to hear, but another to see! It’s one thing to know; and another to understand. Indeed, it’s one thing to understand and yet another to act upon that understanding.

When I refused to believe the truth about Jesus, as Christ, [back in my angry days as an atheist] I had no clue about the transforming power of the Holy Spirit. But now I’ve SEEN the Truth; and The Truth has set me free. Once I was willing to believe and receive Jesus as Lord of my life, IN FAITH, I have been given “eyes” to see His truth; and a new consciousness to experience that truth; and this new perspective on life has given me the freedom, and power, to change.

Last week in my church we had a “cardboard testimony” service. A “cardboard testimony” is a before and after statement printed on a piece of common cardboard, telling how one’s life has been transformed/changed as a result of becoming a Christian. I participated in this demonstration of the changing power of Christ. On one side of my cardboard panel, my “before” testimony read, “Obsessed with p0rn.” On the other side, the “after” statement, I wrote, “Obsessed with God’s word!”

You see, my friend, nobody can tell me that one cannot or will not change when he truly repents and comes in faith to receive Christ as Savior and Lord; because I’ve seen and experienced the change; and I can give testimony – my testimony! – to that change. We could write about the power of God to change; and you can read about it in the Bible; but if you don’t believe it, you will never “see it,” and it will never be true … for you. But when you’ve been there; and experienced the reality of God’s transforming power, nothing that any atheist would ever argue has any meaning to dissuade you from the Truth.

The “Truth” is Jesus; and when you’ve “seen” Him in action – i.e., His Spirit changing your life – you KNOW He’s real; and no one could ever argue you out of that truth. I hope that all who read this have “SEEN” Jesus change your life; and I hope you share that before/after “cardboard” testimony with others.

BTW, … if you want to see a series of “cardboard testimonies,” go to this link.

My Prayer for Today: Lord, Jesus, You are my cardboard testimony. Amen

No comments: