Friday, October 21, 2011

October 21, 2011 … Paying Sin’s Price

Passage of the Day: Romans 6:23 [see in bold] … 20 When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness. 21 What benefit did you reap at that time from the things you are now ashamed of? Those things result in death! 22 But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

My Journal for Today:
Wow; if there was ever a passage that hits the heart of yours truly as a believer, it is the verse highlighted for today above from the Apostle Paul. However, every now and then it’s wise, and spiritually healthy, to reflect deeply on the wondrous truth of God’s gift-wrapped grace of eternal life in the light of what I (we) deserve as sinners. And the wage for our sin condition is death, as Paul reminds his readers in today’s highlight verse (i.e., Rom. 6: 23); and nothing we can say, or nothing we can do, will ever pay off that debt. And I’m remembering Paul also declared in Phil. 3: 7 … that all of Paul’s works were a loss for the sake of Christ. But then, balancing this truth with joy and exuberance, the Apostle declared with conviction to the Corinthians, and all of us as believers, “Thanks be to God for His indescribable Gift.” [2nd Cor. 9: 15]

And as I sit and type this, I’m meditating and remembering that Christ did it ALL – EVERYTHING – when He died for me (and all born-again believers); and when He was raised again and ascended into Heaven to be re-glorified by His Father, … He now sits on His throne, interceding for me (us), having given me (us) His Spirit to be my (our) Holy Advocate forever. And it’s all a gift – a marvelous, mysterious, and wondrous gift. And if you’re reading this, I would hope, as I am, that you are thinking and maybe singing or declaring, something along the lines of the old Doxology you may have sung in church [see below]… “Praise God from Whom all blessings flow.”

Christ is the only One Who could – and has – paid my (our) sin debt (see Acts 4: 12); and He paid it in full, declaring from the cross, “It is finished!” He was my only hope for redemption when I was locked into my past chains of sinfulness (see John 14: 6); and He’s the only hope I have now as a saved sinner to be cleansed from my sin (see 1st John 1: 9). Only my faith saved me; and only my faith in repentance can continue to shape me into the person I’m now predestined to be … and that is the image of my Lord and Savior, Jesus. [see Phil. 1: 6]

Are you singing yet? … If not, join me. I think you know the tune …; but even if you don’t, just say the words and reflect on the truths of today’s devotional as you say or sing these words aloud from the classic Doxology … or if you want to go to a lovely You Tube version with the Maranatha Singers rendering this old, great praise song … GO TO THIS LINK

Praise God from Whom all blessings flow.
Praise Him all creatures here below.
Praise Him above the heavenly hosts.
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.


My Prayer Today:
Amen and amen!

No comments: