Tuesday, October 04, 2011

October 4, 2011 … God Is Light … God’s Word Is Truth

Passage of the Day: 1st John 1: 5 … This is the message we have heard from Him and declare to you: God is light; in Him there is no darkness at all.

My Journal for Today: If you’ve studied God’s word for any length of time, I’m sure you’ve noted the biblical usage of the light versus dark metaphor, often used to compare holiness to evil or truthfulness to dishonesty. Scripture also clearly refers to our Lord as “… abounding in … truth,” as did Moses in Exodus 34: 6 [NASB] , or the Psalmist referring to God as “… the God of truth” [in Psalm 31: 5], or Isaiah using the same reference in Isaiah 65: 16. Jesus, Himself, called Himself “… the way, the TRUTH, and the life (see John 14: 6).”

We, as Christians, can not only lean on the character of God as being truth and light, especially from our relationship with Christ; but we also can lean on his Word as the reflection of His truth and light. David prayed (in 2nd Samuel 7: 28), “O Sovereign LORD, you are God! Your words are trustworthy, …"; and Jesus prayed (in John 17: 17), “Sanctify them by the truth; Your word is truth.“ And you may have memorized, as have I, one verse from the acrostic poem about God’s word in Psalms 119: 105, which states “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.“

Therefore, when we are looking for light in the darkness which surrounds us in the world; … when we are looking for truth when it comes to moral decisions in our life, we Christians, who believe in the absolute truth of God’s word (believing in 2nd Tim. 2: 16, 17), can KNOW, beyond any doubt, that no evil or dishonesty can emanate from God and His word (see Ps. 5: 4). Therefore, since God cannot lie (see Numbers 23: 19 and Titus 1: 2), we will always be led by His light to make decisions that are in line with God’s will and His truth when we seek His will and/or His way through His word.

This then begs certain questions. As we deal with sin in our lives (i.e., the darkness of evil and dishonesty), … do we know where to find God’s light? In other words, how well versed are we in God’s word so that we can see His light shining on the path of truth when we’re faced with the temptation of evil or in a fog of untruth? How much do we lean on God’s word to provide us with His light to straighten our path in life (see Prov. 3: 5 – 6)?

If we avoid God’s word; or if we’re unwilling to devote the time and diligence to put God’s word deeply into our hearts via memorization of His truth, how can we expect to navigate the fog of darkness from this world and the deception of our own hearts [see Jer. 17: 9 and Ps. 119: 9]?

I leave it to you to deal with those questions personally. I’ve certainly had to deal with them in my life. They were questions I faced years ago in my discipleship; and I can testify that deciding in my heart to surrender to God’s call and to pursue His word rigorously in my life (as one would find in a careful study of Psalm 119) has been the most productive life discipline in which I have ever chosen to involve myself. I pray that you will find the truth of that memorable Scripture passage, to which I referred above, Psalm 119: 9, 11, to be an incredibly powerful light, one which is God’s prescription for avoiding sin and dealing with darkness in our lives.

My Prayer Today: The more I know Your word, Lord, the more I know You and the more You light up my life. Amen

No comments: