Monday, December 31, 2012

December 31, 2012 … 8760 Hours in 2013: Starting Over

A “Happy New Year” Devotional - Day 366

Passage of the Day: Reference of Today’s Chronological Bible Study: Ecclesiastes 3: 1-11 To study these chapters, go to this link
============

Highlight Passage: Ecclesiastes 3 [Please use the link above to reflect on Solomon’s reflections.] : [NLT] … {The entire book of Ecclesiastes is Solomon’s chronicle of recognition and the realization that in all of his life, with all the human wisdom he had received from God, he had still blown it when it came to the way he was a steward of the time God had given him. In this passage Solomon reflects on the time he was given in life; and he laments, in reflection, the reality that he could have done so much more with the time God had given him to use it for God’s glory.}
============

Reference Passage: Psalms 90: 12 : [NLT] … {On this last day of the year, looking ahead for the next year God may or may not give us, is there some desire to “Start Over” and do life in a better way for God’s glory this year.}  
Teach us to realize the brevity of life, so that we may grow in wisdom. 

My Journal for Today: Yesterday was day “365” in the completion of the Chronological Bible Reading discipline, published by YouVersion.com online to help any seeker after truth to read through the entire Bible chronologically in a year. The online reading ended yesterday because it was leap year; and the program didn’t take today into account – DAY 366, Dec. 31, in 2012. So, I have no lesson from YouVersion.com to rely upon to close out the year as I blog my journal entry today.

But every year on December 31st my computer schedule program reminds me to go to this link  and meditate on a poem, written by Bible Teacher, Woodrow Kroll, a number of years ago. And so again this year, I did so. I hope you do too!

And then yesterday one of our teaching pastors at our church preached a great sermon from the segment of Scripture I’ve cited/linked above for your study on this last day of 2012. The passage is Ecclesiastes 3: 1-11; and any disciple of Christ who reads that passage, as well as the poem to which I’ve linked you, would very likely be reflecting on the prayer/question, …  

“Lord, did I use my time wisely and for your purposes in 2012; and if I were to “START OVER” in 2013, how could I use the 8760 hours in 2013, if You grant them to me, more effectively and for Your glory?”

The wonderful truth is, my fellow Christian, …WE CAN START OVER!!

A lot of us are going to want to make “New Year’s Resolutions” going into the New Year. And like Solomon in Ecclesiastes 3, we recognize that in our past use of the time God has given us, we could have done better in many areas of life. Yesterday, our preacher expounded on the reality that there are two demonic first cousins, PROCRASTINATION and PRESUMPTION, which, if we let them, can rob us of how we use our time, trying to lure us to use God’s time for our own selfish pursuits rather than for Savior pursuits.

 But when we read the poem, and taking up Paul’s banner of truth from Ephesians 5: 15-16 [I’ll let you dig that one out for yourself], we are charged by our Lord to use our God-given time circumspectly and wisely; and if/when we do, it will be for God’s glory. And my friend, if you read that poem to which I’ve linked you above, you will realize, as I have today, that we can START OVER; and we can use – if God grants them – the 8760 hours in 2013 much more wisely and with much more Spirit-led power than we would in selfish pursuits. However, this will happen only if we choose (and it’s always our God-granted choice) to use those hours in obedience to God’s will.

My Prayer for Today Lord, help me to START OVER for your glory in 2013. … Amen

A blogger’s PS - HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!

No comments: