Tuesday, May 21, 2013

May 21, 2013 … God Awareness

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2013 - Day 141

Passage of the Day: Genesis 28: 16 [NLT]  
16 Then Jacob woke up and said, “Surely the LORD is in this place, and I wasn’t even aware of it.” 
============
 Contextual Study for today’s passage: Genesis, Chapter 28 [NLT] … Go to this link

My Journal for Today: If you read along with me in this blog, I hope you have taken the time to read and meditate a bit on Jacob’s story after he was forced to flee from his family for what he pulled off in conning his brother Esau out of Isaac’s blessing and birthright. And Jacob, in Chapter 28 of Genesis, is recorded by Moses to have found a safe place in Bethel, where, in a quiet moment, He encountered God’s presence and direction through a dream.

And Os Hillman, in his journal entry for his devotional today reminded me that often we have get away from the stresses and strains of worldly living and establish an altar of solitude to be able to sense and be with God. It’s difficult, many times impossible, to be able to have an awareness of God unless we can consciously and intentionally find a place of solitude and quiet, away from the noises and demands of the world, to be with God. It’s what you might call your “quiet time;” and I don’t know about you, but I, like Jacob did in today’s highlight passage, have my altar of quiet where I go each morning to devote quiet time with God.

And here I am this very morning to be with God again in this quiet place in my mind and heart. I do hope you have such a place, totally away from the noisiness and stresses of the world to spend quality time with God each day … preferably in the morning … to start each day with an awareness and a special time worshipping, praying, and languishing in God’s word.

 I can’t tell you how many days that I have felt, as Jacob did, and I have felt (in today’s highlight verse), “… Surely the Lord is in this place.” In fact there’s a wonderful song to which I’ll link you here  – in this case sung by Daniel O’Donnell - which I pray captures the essence of your daily quiet-time with God. Because even his morning I have truly sensed God being here with me.

My Prayer for Today … Lord, I so relish the time where I sense your presence each day. … Amen

No comments: