Thursday, December 04, 2008

Getting Close To Christ - December '08 - Day 4

December 4, 2008 …

Passage of the Day: Philippians 2: 6b [see highlight passage in bold/red] …
5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, 7 but made Himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to death — even death on a cross! 9 Therefore God exalted Him to the highest place and gave Him the Name that is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

My Journal for Today: Today we focus on the second phrase in Phil. 2: 6; and it’s truly a remarkable truth, … one which the religious leaders who opposed Jesus in His day could not understand. And here’s where I think I have some empathy for the Pharisees of Christ’s day. Oh, don’t get me wrong. I hope that I wouldn’t have been so prideful in my position that I would be willing to plot the death of this One Who claimed to be The Messiah. But if I had learned about the God of Abraham the way the Pharisees had, with all the religious training and traditions of the day, it probably would have been difficult, if not impossible for me to understand how this Jesus, the son of a simple carpenter in Nazareth, could claim to be One with Elohim/Jehovah, the God whom they worshipped as the One true God.

And so, how could we expect the people of Christ’s day to understand how He, the God-Man, would be willing to release Himself from the holdings of glory and His favored position as the 2nd Person of the Trinity? And then to carry this through to the conclusion where we see Him completely fulfilling every one of the Messianic prophesies of the Old Testament, … becoming one of us, being rejected by His own, being humiliated and than, being executed so that His shed blood could allow all who believe in Him as Savior/Lord, by His grace, to share in His glory forever. How could the people of Christ’s day accept this because it’s difficult for theologians of today to get their minds around that truth as well?

Can any who might read this grasp and believe this greatest Christmas story ever told, where God, The Son, willingly decided to release Himself from His glorified place in the God-Head and become a babe in a manger … to grow to manhood … and to march to the cross so that the greatest gift of all time would become our “Christ Mass,” … this wondrous time when we can celebrate the birth of our Savior? I don’t think I will ever truly understand the full implications of what The Son of God did for me; but His humble decision to be incarnated into humanity, His life, His death, His resurrection, His ascension, His coronation, and His re-glorification have given me the picture I need to see of the One Whom I believe is Lord and Savior and the One Whom I know has given me eternal life.

It may be too much for my mind to grasp; but not my heart – which is His. I pray that you too have given, and are giving, your heart to Him, and I pray that you’re celebrating – in this Advent season – the truth of what we’re learning in Philippians 2 … how God Himself was willing to become one OF us so that we could become one WITH Him.

And we’ll see even more of Him tomorrow; so, stay tuned!

My Prayer Today: Help me, Lord, to let go of my personal glory and to become a humble servant like You. Amen

No comments: