Monday, August 23, 2010

2010 – August 23 – Finding Our Way

Study from God’s Word Jeremiah, Chapters 30 – 31 … Passage for Reflection: Jeremiah 31: 21 … NIV "Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take. Return, O Virgin Israel, return to your towns.”

My Journal for Today: Dr. Smith, in his devotional for today, reminded me of the Hansel and Gretel strategy of dropping bread crumbs or pebbles so that they could be found if they were abandoned by their evil father along the path; and that image is retained in the cultural phrase. “leaving a trail of breadcrumbs,” when we launch ourselves onto a path of some risk.

It’s pretty easy to lose one’s way along the path of life; and we can often walk off into even dangerous territories, being drawn by Satan and the world into the minefields if you will. So, when we sense that we are at some risk of going astray as Christians, and being drawn away from the strong command from our Lord to follow Him (see Luke 9: 23), Dr. Smith asks, ”How can I best establish my spiritual signposts so that I never again lose my way?” And over the years in my discipleship, I’ve discovered several signpost strategies which help me stay on course and to retrace my path easily if I find myself wandering off path. Perhaps these will help you.

The first is stay in God’s word; because it is the light for my path (see Psalm 119: 105). The more of God’s word that I have embedded in my consciousness, the less likely I can be blindsided by the world or my own deceptive heart. And if I do find myself in risky territory, I can be led back easily to God’s path by trusting implicitly in His truth and letting it guide me back to my Lord (see Prov. 3: 5-6).

Secondly, in the battle treks of life, being able to go to and hold the high ground, which is established through prayer (see Eph. 6: 18), I know I can see God’s path and get back on track more readily and quickly.

And finally, I always know that I can have help – and signposts of trusted direction – if, as one of His flock, I stay close to the stronger sheep. I can go more easily off track if I isolate myself from God people. BUT, when I stay close in the fellowship of believers, especially with reliable/strong mentors and teachers, I can quite easily find my way back because they’ll help me do so.

I hope you have a “stay on track” battle strategy, which allows you to see your way to follow the Good Shepherd, and you’re able to see the trail because of the light of His truth from His word and the high ground of prayer. And I hope you have a cohort of leaders who are closely following the Savior; and you know that if you follow them, they’ll help to keep you moving in HIS directions (see Paul declaring this to vulnerable believers in 1st Cor. 11: 1).

Fellow lamb in God’s flock, … stay close to the flock, especially the stronger sheep who closely follow the Shepherd. And if you seem to need perspective for your walk, go to the high ground (in prayer) to see THE WAY more clearly. And then be sure to drop pebbles of faith along the way, rocks of wisdom from His word, which can lead you back to the righteous path anytime you follow them, allowing you to avoid getting lost into the world (see Ps. 119: 9 – 11, and again verse Ps. 119: 105).

My Prayer for Today: Lord, I follow You, clinging to Your cloak, through the minefields of life. Amen

No comments: