Friday, August 06, 2010

2010 – August 6 – A Respected Family Tradition

Study from God’s Word Jeremiah, Chapters 25 and 35 … Passage for Reflection: Jeremiah 35: 13 – 14 … NIV 12 Then the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah, saying: 13 "This is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says: Go and tell the men of Judah and the people of Jerusalem, 'Will you not learn a lesson and obey my words?' declares the LORD. 14 'Jonadab son of Recab ordered his sons not to drink wine and this command has been kept. To this day they do not drink wine, because they obey their forefather's command. But I have spoken to you again and again, yet you have not obeyed Me.

My Journal for Today: The highlighted verse for today, by Dr. Smith, is emboldened and underlined above in the context of the immediate two verses; and this is an interesting commentary on how humans will sometimes follow human, family, or religious traditions and ignore God’s commands or His Law.

In the times of Jeremiah, there was a family, a religious sect of nomads, the Recabites, who were led by Jonadab, a descendant of Recab. Jonadab had ordered his nomadic family never to drink wine, apparently as a way to honor him as their father and their ancestor Recab. And in Chapter 35 of Jeremiah’s book, we read that God was angry at His people, who refused to honor their Heavenly Father and His commands. But God, almost seeming like He was jealous of the Recabites, honored the Recabites in Judah who were willing to discipline themselves to do something, i.e., never drink wine, honoring their earthly fathers for generations. Yet, God’s people in Judah could not, or more accurately WOULD NOT, honor God, their Father, the Creator God, by following His commands. And because of this generational disobedience, as we read in the Books of the Prophets in the OT, Judah was to be overcome by the Babylonians and remain in captivity for 70 years [an interesting and exactingly accurate prophesy from Jeremiah in Chapter 25].

And Dr. Smith, my devotional Shepherd, in his devotional for today, ends with this self examination question: ”What might I – myself – do today to foster a respect for God that will last for generations?” And being a grandfather, I can only hope (and pray – below) that my family, friends, and those in my sphere of influence would see in my choices and actions a life which honors my Lord and Heavenly Father. And may they receive Him as Lord as have I.

What about you and your family?

My Prayer for Today: Lord, make me a vessel, filled with the living waters of Your Spirit, which brings life to my family and gives eternal hope to anyone with whom I might be in contact. Amen

No comments: