Friday, February 11, 2011

February 11, 2011 … God Is Always With Us

Passage of the Day: Psalm 145: 18 … The LORD is near to all who call on Him, to all who call on Him in truth.

My Journal for Today: Yesterday we saw the tremendous encouraging impact of the truth involved in God’s omnipresence. Today’s verse, plus the promise of Hebrews 13: 5, which was quoted yesterday, and repeated below for emphasis, assures me – and any believer – that God will FOREVER be near the Christian who is willing to call on Him in Spirit and in truth.

SCRIPTURE: Heb. 13: 5 God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." [quoted from Deut. 31: 6]

And perhaps it would be helpful here to reiterate the words of Christ, Himself, in His Great Commission [especially Matt. 28, verse 20] …

SCRIPTURE: Matthew 28: 19-20 “Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Yes, this is an incredibly challenging command to every believer and to Christ’s Church; but again, note the tag line, underlined in bold above in verse 20, which assures all believers and the church that Christ’s (i.e., God’s) presence is rock solid as we venture forth as witnesses in His Name, especially witnessing in very challenging, if not dire, circumstances.

And so, as we walk the walk of faith, we can be assured, not only of God’s PRESENCE, but we can also be uplifted by the promise of God’s POWER. Yesterday, I made reference to 1st Cor. 10: 13, which is one of the verses from God’s truth which shores me up in times of trial or temptation. But other passages, which I’ve cast to memory, help me to know that in my weakness, as a believer, I now have God’s power and grace to be with me as I am His witness. I’ve referred to them or quoted these verses many times in my devotionals; but let’s read and meditate upon Acts 1: 8 and 2nd Cor. 12: 9 … both from the words of Jesus Himself …

SCRIPTURE: Acts 1: 8 … “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be My witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."
SCRIPTURE: 2nd Cor. 12: 9 But He [Jesus] said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in [your] weakness."

So, as you meditate on those words from our Lord, doesn’t it lift you up? When I call on my Lord “in truth” (see today’s verse – which refers to calling on Him with belief in His word), I can KNOW, with confidence, that He will be there; …AND … He will not allow me to handle anything I cannot handle WITH HIM, … AND … He will give me His power, through His grace, when I need it in my weakness. I repeat, in the words of young people today, “Is that not cool, or what?!

So God’s omnipresence allows me to pursue His PURPOSE, with His PRESENCE, and in His POWER. It motivates me toward holiness, which, in my sin nature, I cannot attain without His Spirit. It’s like a magnet, drawing me toward God’s plan and away from selfish desires. And as I do seek Him, God is always there to watch over me. As I trust Him, He gives me His direction. And I’ll bet you know Proverbs 3: 5 – 6 [linked]. If not, check it out – and then memorize it!

My Prayer Today: How grateful I am, Lord, for your ever present Spirit to give me strength and direction. Amen

No comments: