Sunday, August 14, 2011

August 14, 2011 … Being Devoted to God

Passage of the Day: Matthew 6: 21 [see Scripture in bold/underlined] … 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

My Journal for Today:
Personally, in this one highlighted verse for the day (see in bold and underlined above), I think Jesus gives Christians the best indicator of the health of our stewardship as believers. And also VERY personally, this is one of the real hard sayings from Jesus’ teachings for Christians to absorb and apply in our lives [especially yours truly!].

We certainly know, as Christians and from our knowledge of Romans 3: 23 and Jeremiah 17: 9 (great verses to have memorized), that we’re all sinful and have deceitful hearts. But praise God, when God’s Spirit comes to reside in the still naturally sinful heart of man upon conversion, supernatural change will take place in that heart over time [see 2nd Cor. 5: 17 and Phil. 1: 6]. This is the process of sanctification; and it becomes manifest in more and more Christlike behavior being seen in the life of the true Christian as that one develops a deeper and deeper relationship with the Savior. And as that believer begins to pursue God and surrender to His Spirit, one of the best measures of that sanctification would be the stewardship of that Christian. I think I’ve said it before, quoting a friend of mine, “Show me the check stubs and the calendar of a so-called “Christian,” and we’ll be able to see if he’s the real deal.”

So, as I do a self-check here, I’ll ask you, “What about your check stubs [or electronic financial data]; … what about your calendar?” If we had a close look at your spending habits, your giving, and your use of God’s resources (time and talents, as well as treasures), would your heart be on display as Jesus viewed what you treasure? I have to ask myself all the time, “Am I gladly (and the attitude is important as seen in 2nd Cor. 9: 6 - 7) using God’s money and the time He has given me for Godly ends; … or am I using His providence for myself?” Honest answers to these questions will tell us whether we are sowing what God would have us sow from our use of His providence … whether our heart is right as we use His treasures.

My Prayer Today: O help me, Lord, to give with single-minded devotion to You. Amen

No comments: