Saturday, August 20, 2011

August 20, 2011 … The Lord Who Provides

Passage of the Day: Genesis 22: 13 – 14 … 13 Abraham looked up and there in a thicket he saw a ram caught by its horns. He went over and took the ram and sacrificed it as a burnt offering instead of his son. 14 So Abraham called that place The LORD Will Provide. And to this day it is said, "On the mountain of the LORD it will be provided."

My Journal for Today: As I read through and meditate on John MacArthur’s devotional from Strength for Today on this date, he makes an excellent and convicting point that we, who call ourselves “believers,” would never doubt that God is love … or that He is great and mighty … or that God is Holy and just. However, when it comes to God’s character as our provider, as in the name “Jehovah-Jireh” used in today’s passage when referring to “Lord,” our actions all too often reveal our distrust of God in this regard.

We read, in Matt. 6: 25 – 34, Jesus telling us not to worry about what we will eat or what we will wear; … and yet, we do worry about such things; … don’t we? As Christians, somehow we know in our head that God perfectly knows our needs, and He has promised to provide those needs; yet, we don’t have that truth deeply embedded in our hearts; … do we? We so often live our lives in contradiction to God’s exhortation to seek Him first for ALL things so that He can provide exactly what we need (see Matt. 6: 33, which you may even – and should – have memorized).

Abraham got it, up on that mountain with his son Isaac laying on that slab about to die at God’s command. However, I’m afraid I don’t really get it; … at least not completely enough. All too often, I don’t … in my small faith … really trust that God will provide anything and everything I need. One day perhaps I can move this head-faith, in my surrender to my Jehovah Jireh, to my heart, and I can have the faith of an Abraham and just let my God be my everything.

But until then, I’ll keep asking myself … when will I really “get with God’s program?” … really believing God’s promises and receiving His abundant grace gladly … and faithfully? When will my lifestyle become one of complete worship and obedience to my God’s promises, completely trusting in Jehovah-Jireh?

I pray it begins today!

My Prayer Today: At least today, … I declare, You are my Provider, Lord! Amen

No comments: