Saturday, November 26, 2011

November 26, 2011 … Seizing Opportunities

Passage of the Day: Ephesians 5: 15 - 16 [highlight verse in bold/underlined] … 15 Be very careful, then, how you live — not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. 17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is.

My Journal for Today: I don’t know about any of you who might be reading these blogs along with me this month, but this exhortation from the Apostle Paul to believers, being inspired by God, the Holy Spirit, is deeply convicting to me. As I’ve said this past month as we’ve dealt with the pursuit of Godly wisdom, I have to ask myself often if I’m “making the most of every opportunity” to live, as Eph. 4: 1 says, “… a life worthy of the calling you [i.e., “I”] have received …” as a Christian.

In the Book of Psalms, Moses is quoted as writing (in PS. 90: 12), “Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.” And therein lies the emphasis I believe the Apostle Paul was trying to capture in today’s verse. The phrase “to number” [bold above] is the Hebrew term, “manah,” which literally means “to account for.” And so Moses was saying that believers must make an accounting to God for the days God gives us to live for Him.

In our passage for today, the phrase “… making the most of every opportunity in the NIV is translated “making the most of your time” in the NASB. That term “time” in the Greek is the term “kairos,” not the normal term for time, which would be “chronos.” The latter is the term for sequential time as we’d measure it with a clock. “Kairos,” however, means a designated period of time or “an era,” … for example, the time we are given on this earth. So, the Apostle Paul is saying that the span of time given to us by God needs to be maximized for God’s glory; and we must do this in the context of the evil days in which we live. Therefore, according to God’s word, from what we’ve studied here, Christians are charged to prudently pursue the wisdom, will, and ways of God, even as we’re bombarded by evil all around us, so that we can “carpe diem,” i.e., seize the day, for God’s glory.

How are we doing?

I ask myself from today’s time with God here this very morning, “How am I going to live this very day to know God more and to shine His light in this very evil world in which we live?” It’s a daunting task; but for the Lord Who saved me, it is a task which I must pursue with all the motivation I can muster. Besides, as 1st Cor. 10: 13 assures me, God will not allow me to be involved with any trial, task, or temptation which I cannot handle with Him faithfully by my side (also Heb. 13: 5 or Deut. 31: 6). God will never abandon me; so, I must never abandon Him.

My Prayer Today: Lord, may my time today and all my tomorrows by for You. Amen

Blogger’s Note: I hope the reader does not assume, with me quoting and discussing Hebrew and Greek terms in my blogs, that I have first hand knowledge of Hebrew and/or Greek from my references to word studies from these languages. … Hardly! … However, often I find it helpful to use an online Hebrew/Greek dictionary or reference to study the meanings of certain words or phrases. As the study in this devotional entry, it can give a closer look at the meanings intended by God from His word. And that study is well worth the investment of my time (or “chronos” as the Greeks would say it!). ;)

No comments: