Friday, June 01, 2012

June 1, 2012 … Living As Christ’s Bride

Passage of the Day: Reference of Today’s Chronological Bible Study: Song of Solomon, Chapters 1-8; To study these chapters, go to this link -
============

Highlight Passage: Song of Solomon 1: 4: … 4 Take me [the Shulammite maiden] away with you [King Solomon] — let us hurry! Let the king bring me into his chambers. 
Highlight Passage #2: Song of Solomon 5: 16: … [Now Solomon’s wife] … 16 His mouth is sweetness itself; he is altogether lovely. This is my beloved, this is my friend, daughters of Jerusalem.
Highlight Passage #3: Song of Solomon 8: 6: … [Later … Solomon’s wife] … 6 Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm; for love is as strong as death, its jealousy unyielding as the grave. It burns like blazing fire, like a mighty flame. 

My Journal for Today: Well, today’s chronological read was – in my estimation – an unfair assignment – to read, reflect, and meditate on the entire book Solomon wrote to capture his love for a Jewish maiden who became his wife; and some scholars say this poetic book allegorically captures God’s love for His people as well as a pre-incarnate picture of Christ, the ultimate Bridegroom, wooing, winning, and loving His Bride – the Church.

So, how can one do all that in one morning?! Not fair!!; … because there is so much beauty, emotion, and down-right sensuality upon which a reader can meditate and reflect in this very different book of the Bible. But this morning I’ve done what my reading plan editors asked; and while I did so, some of my reflections are captured in the three highlight passages I’ve copied above.

And the first of these above is the Shulammite maiden, the beautiful, tanned, young woman whom Solomon was drawn to, expressing her surrender to the King, who swept her off her feet with the sensuality of their feelings for one another. And in this scene, I was taken back to when I was first emotionally swept off my feet by my pursuing prospective Bridegroom, … My Lord, Who, with such power and purpose, swept me from my spiritual foundation and pursued me with His love. And I responded, receiving my Lord’s pursuits, surrendering all that I was to His love and His forgiving grace. He came for His bride; and I was His.

I hope you read through the Song of Songs and reflect on how you are Christ’s bride, sealed forever in an eternal friendship and glorious covenant love relationship; and as our Groom, He is going to come back for us … to take us to His Kingly and heavenly court in order to consummate the relationship for which I am preparing my linens for the wedding feast of the Lamb, … for my beloved Bridegroom, Lord, and King (see Rev. 19: 7-8). Oh what beauty we can read – in the Song of Solomon – of that coming wedding feast.

My second observation, from the second passage listed above, is that my Bridegroom is my “bestest” friend. I know that superlative adjective is not even a word; but when it comes to the eternal relationship I now enjoy – and will enjoy forever – my Savior and Lord, the Bridegroom Who will come for His bride, the Church, sees all who receive His salvation love as HIS “FRIEND,” … just like He referred to the man who was let down through the roof for his healing in Luke 5. I am His bride and He is my friend. How cool is that?!!

And finally, from the third of the passages, copied above, I see my lover and Bridegroom as my protector and the one who will always be there because I’ve been sealed unto His heart forever in a love relationship that cannot be broken. And my fellow Christian, there is nothing more endearing than having that kind of relationship with the One Who gave His all to bind me with Him to eternal life together.

Reading and reflecting on this long assignment may have been a bit of a chore, especially for one, like me, who has a reading disability; but it was well worth it, to have God tell me and show me – in His word – from the pen of Solomon just how much my Lord and King loves me as His Bride; and now in that role, as it says in the passage of Revelations cited above, I need to be preparing my linens (i.e., with my acts of obedient righteousness) for His return, … when He, my King, will take me to His home in heaven to be with Him forever.

My Prayer Today: … Oh, Lord, I am overwhelmed with Your love. Amen

No comments: