Tuesday, November 13, 2012

November 13, 2012 … “Go … In the Name and Power of Jesus!”

Chronological Bible Reading Plan - Day 318

Passage of the Day: Reference of Today’s Chronological Bible Study: Matthew, Chapter 28 To study these chapters, go to this link
============
Passage of the Day: Reference of Today’s Chronological Bible Study: Mark, Chapter 16 To study these chapters, go to this link

Highlight Passages: Matthew 28: 18-20 : [NLT] … { Yes, it’s the “Great Commission;” and every Christian finds him or her self under the charge of Jesus’ last words on earth – along with that in Acts 1: 8, copied below. } 18 Jesus came and told his disciples, “I have been given complete authority in heaven and on earth. 19 Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. 20 Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
============
Highlight Passages: Mark 16: 15-16 : [NLT] … { And here is Mark’s version of the Great Commission.} 15 And then He told them,Go into all the world and preach the Good News to everyone, everywhere. 16 Anyone who believes and is baptized will be saved. But anyone who refuses to believe will be condemned….. ” 

Reference Passage: Acts 1: 8 : [NLT] … { Jesus’ commission and charge to all Christians as He ascended into heaven after the resurrection. } 8 “ …But when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, you will receive power and will tell people about me everywhere — in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” 

My Journal for Today: Today I was taken to study and meditate on the final gospel chapters written by Matthew and John Mark; and my journal focus from these chapters was a “no-brainer,” because both of these gospel accounts document what Christianity knows is Christ’s GREAT COMMISSION, … His final charge to His disciples – i.e., ALL DISCIPLES, including you and me – along with what Luke recorded in Acts 1: 8, which I’ve also copied as a cross reference for any reading along with me today.

 Jesus had appeared and was witnessed by over 500 of His disciples after He had arisen from the grave; and at that time He was to ascend into heaven, be re-glorified to be with His Father, and to leave His Spirit residing in the hearts of all true believers to be His witnesses and disciples, carrying His good news to the ends of the earth and making other disciples, who would be with our Triune God forever when they had truly believed on what Christ had done on the cross, giving the believer the power to overcome sin and witness for the Name of Christ.

So, the question becomes, “Do we (as His born-again, believing disciples) find ourselves captured and motivated by Jesus’ commission?” Because it is my contention that if someone does not find himself or herself driven by the Great Commission and/or the command to witness from Jesus, that person is not likely saved, … not having the driving force of God’s Spirit in their hearts to “GO and make disciples,” as Jesus has commissioned ALL of those whom He has elected to be His followers.

I have no trouble finding my self and my life purpose in these final words of charge from Jesus as He ascended into heaven. I know it’s the power of God’s Spirit which has transformed me from an atheist to a believer and from a sex addict to a “witness for Jesus” addict [evidenced by the reality that I’m here witnessing for Christ daily in these blogs everyday]. And I write this here, not to brag on my Christian witness, but rather to say that anyone who is born-again, in Christ, will likely find themselves being driven by these words of commission from Christ as He left this world to be with His Father in heaven.

When Jesus says, “Go!” Do you find yourself going in some capacity to share His good news or to disciple others? If not, … why not? That is our commission and calling as Christians, isn’t it?

As in Acts 1: 8 charges, do you find yourself drawn – almost driven – to witness to others what Jesus has done in your life? If not, … why not? That is our charge as disciples of The Christ, isn’t it?

I think I’ve said enough today. Certainly the GREAT COMMISSION is enough to drive all Christians onward in His Name … well, … ISN”T IT?

My Prayer Today: … Lord, You drive me forward everyday to witness in Your Name, to do all I can to “make disciples,” and to share Your good news with others. Amen

No comments: