Wednesday, November 07, 2012

November 7, 2012 … The Sheep and the Goats

Chronological Bible Reading Plan - Day 312

Passage of the Day: Reference of Today’s Chronological Bible Study: Matthew, Chapter 25 To study these chapters, go to this link
============

Highlight Passages: Matthew 25: 31-46 : [NLT] … { This is either one of the most uplifting passages in the NT or one of the most depressing. However, it is unlikely that non-believers will see this passage as it should be to them – as depressing beyond measure. I say this because unbelievers – as I was once – just don’t see the truth that God will one day separate His sheep from His goats. } … To study this selected passage … GO TO THIS LINK

My Journal for Today: This morning in my chronological Bible reading, the editors have taken me to Matthew 25: Verses 31-46, linked above for your study if you’re reading along with me today. Certainly all of God’s word is His mirror of truth; but there are passages in Scripture which cause anyone reading to focus a little more intensely than usual and require a very personal decision as to the content of what one is viewing in God’s mirror of truth.

The parable of the goats being separated from the sheep in my focus passage, linked for your meditation above, is one of those “look into the mirror and see yourself” passages. And if one is honest, and a seeker of God’s truth, the reading/study of this passage requires a deep decision from the reader about one’s eternal future. When you honestly read this passage, unless you simply dismiss it as foolhardy legend as an atheist, the reader is required to make a decision as to whether he/she sees him/her self as one of the “sheep” or one of the “goats.”

The “sheep” are those who, when confronted by someone in need, would be compelled by God’s Spirit to reach out and help that one. The “goats” are those who would pass on by without feeling a God-convicted compulsion to help. Take note of the parable and verses 37-40, which read as follows … 37 “Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? 39 When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ … 40 “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’ …”  

When you looked into the truth mirror of that passage, what did you see?

Did you see yourself being one of those who, when confronted with one in need, would reach out to help the Jesus in that person needing your help? Or are you feeling deep conviction, guilt, and remorse in reading the passage, knowing that you would likely not have the heart to help? Are you feeling uplifted and encouraged in viewing yourself through these words from Jesus; or are you in denial and simply feeling that reading this is a worthless waist of time?

Because, my fellow seeker of truth, how you respond internally and honestly to those questions may give you insight into your eternal destiny. Jesus was trying to get His disciples (or followers) to see that they are either His sheep or His goats; and one day the goats would be separated from the sheep for eternity; and the sheep will be with Jesus, the Good Shepherd, forever; but the goats will be sent into eternal damnation.

There was a time in my life when reading that passage would have been foolish literature to me. But now when I read it, I am driven to become one of those sheep; … because everyday, I desire to follow the Good Shepherd and to become more like Him today than yesterday … and even more like Him tomorrow than today. I am one of His sheep; how about you?

My Prayer Today: … Lord, … lead the way; … I will follow You and my Good Shepherd. Amen

No comments: