Friday, September 27, 2013

September 27, 2013 … But Do We Really Believe?

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2013 - Day 270

Devotional Song: Go to this link -  Please take the time to meditate on this poignant song, sung by Kristyn Getty, entitled By Faith, reminding Christians that we walk by faith in God’s promises.

Highlight meditation passage – John 3: 16 : [I think you know this one; but focus on the phrase, “… whoever believes in Him …”]
============

Highlight reading study of Hebrews, Chapter 11: Go to this link for the great FAITH chapter, retelling of all those who lived by faith and not by sight … 

Reference Passage #1: 2nd Corinthians 5: 7 [As BELIEVERS we must live by faith and not by sight] … [NLT] …  
7 For we live by believing [i.e., faith] and not by seeing.

Reference Passage #1: Proverbs 3: 5-6 [WARNING – Avoid seeing life though our own, very deceivable eyes.] … [NKJV] …
Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean not on your own understanding. 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him; and He will direct your paths. 

My Journal for Today: ... Ugh! … Today’s Os Hillman devotional journal entry hits me where it hurts … right in the reality bread-basket. And he begins by quoting, as a highlight passage, probably the most memorized verse in all of the NT, John 3: 16. And I’d almost bet that any reading here are quoting it off from memory right now.

And the phrase which emboldened itself into my heart from Hillman’s devotional blog today was the passage, whomever [in some translations “whosoever”] believes in Him, which raises the question – at least for me! - of whether we really believe in His saving grace for our salvation or not; and then whether we continue to believe in His sanctifying grace after we were born-again … just as John 3:16 pointedly alludes.

Today, my memory of Scripture and Christian music took me back to the famous “HALL OF FAITH CHAPTER” in the book of Hebrews – i.e., Hebrews, Chapter 11 [linked above] – and to a wonderful song written by Keith Getty, linked and performed above by his wife, Kristyn, entitled, By Faith. Hebrews 11 brings out the reality that we must live by faith in this life, not by sight (as the Apostle Paul taught in 2nd Cor. 5: 7, copied above). Hence the warning to believers from a passage I quote in my daily devotionals probably more than any other; and that is Prov. 3: 5-6 (which is copied above but I hope you have memorized by now!).

And why does this hit me in my soft spot today? Well, it’s hard for me to read “whosoever BELIEVES in Him” and meditate on a passage like Hebrews 11: 6 and not have to confess and repent of my own lack of faith, which at times causes me to wallow in self pity or to ask of God, “Why me, Lord!”

And so I go right to my prayer this morning.

My Prayer for Today … Lord, forgive me for my wayward faith at times. Gird me in Your truth – here day-by-day – that I might have the faith of those listed in Hebrews 11, … or following the exhortation of the Apostle Paul, … walking by faith and not by sight. … Amen

Blogger Note: Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online blog entitled Today God Is First [TGIF], authored by Os Hillman. If you GO TO THIS LINK  on the date of my blog, you’ll find a link to read Hillman’s TGIF blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: