Tuesday, August 12, 2014

August 12, 20147 … Follow the Leader

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2014 - Day 224 

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK … Please go this video link to hear an anonymous praise group singing the old classic hymn Be Thou My Vision, proclaiming our need to follow the vision of our Savior, especially when we’re charged to lead others in the faith.


==============
Highlight Passage - 2nd Timothy 2: 2 [NKJV] … 
2 And the things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 
==============
Highlight Passage [Context] - 2nd Timothy 2: 1-7 [NKJV] … GO TO THIS LINK 
==============

Reference Passage #1 - Luke 9: 23 [NKJV] … If you’ve followed my blogs, I make reference to this passage at least weekly as Christ is exhorting His disciples as to what it takes to follow Him. If you don’t have this one memorized – please seek it out and internalize its truth.

Reference Passage #2 - 1st Corinthians 11: 1 [NKJV] … 
1 Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ. 

Reference Passage #3 … Philippians 2: 5-8 [NKJV] … GO TO THIS LINK

My Journal for Today: In this morning’s Our Daily Bread devotional entry, the author, Albert Lee, told of an incident where the famous evangelist D.L. Moody noted, in the hotel where he was staying while preaching at a crusade, that the guests left their shoes out to be cleaned and polished, as was the custom in some places. However, the hotel staff was not used to that custom and had no workers to do that task. So, Moody, quietly set about cleaning and polishing the shoes himself; and when the guests, who had come to hear him speak, heard about the task, they were overwhelmed by the example of humility of this Christian disciple.

This story reminds one of another such incident found in John 13, doesn’t it? I’m sure you know I’m referring to the humility lesson Jesus gave His disciples by washing their feet. Jesus, of course, was the ultimate example of leading by humility; and I’m always taken by the followership of the Apostle Paul as he, too, led by example. And I also take note that Paul, in mentoring his protégé, Timothy, as well as when he was instructing the church, such as in 2nd Tim. 2: 2 and 1st Cor. 11: 1 told his followers that they could follow his lead, … because he, Paul, was following Christ’s admonition of following our Lord (see Luke 9: 23). Paul’s exhortation in 1st Cor. 11: 1, where Paul said, “Imitate me, …,” almost sounds arrogant, doesn’t it? However, when we know what Paul went through to follow Christ, denying all considerations of personal comfort or safety (see 2nd Corinthians, Chapter 11), we can see that Paul was merely confident in his followership of Christ to be able to lead others in the Lord’s direction.

I hope you’ve had others to follow who led you closer in following Christ. I certainly have had that blessing. However, after following for a reasonable period of time, one must humbly take up the banner and lead others in their quest to know and follow our Lord.

 So, if we are following the Lord, as He exhorted in Luke 9: 23, I pray that we’ll begin to show the way to Christlikeness for others who’re seeking to become more like our Lord.

My Prayer for Today … Lord, I pray You continue to give me the opportunity to follow Your leadership and to lead others to a deeper, more abiding, relationship with You. ... Amen

Blogger Note: Every day during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread [TGIF], distributed online via email by RBC Ministries. If you GO TO THIS LINK; on the date of my blog, you’ll find a link to read the Our Daily Bread blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: