Monday, August 04, 2014

August 4, 2014 … Recognizing Just Who I AM

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2014 - Day 216

Devotional Song: Go to this link -  and take the time to see a lyrical video of Fernando Ortega singing a contemporary version of the classic song … Just As I Am, with Billy Graham’s voice imposed toward the end testifying of how much of a sinner he recognized in himself … and THEN TO THIS LINK to hear Ortega singing the refrain of the old classic version of Just As I Am, which Billy Grahams used for years for the invitational hymn at his crusades.
=============​​​


Highlight Passage: Romans 7: 18 … [NKJV] 
18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. 
============
Highlight Context - NKJV: Romans 7: 11-25 [NKJV] … GO TO THIS LINK
============

Reference Passage #1 - NKJV: Romans 8: 1-4 [NKJV] … GO TO THIS LINK  In Christ we are set free from the bondage of death in sin …  

Reference Passage #2 - NKJV: Romans 8: 37-38 [NKJV] … GO TO THIS LINK  In Christ NOTHING can separate us from His love and salvation …  

Reference Passage #3: 1st Timothy 1: 15 … [NKJV] 
15 This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief. 

My Journal for Today: Today’s Our Daily Bread devotional entry, authored by David Roper, made a direct reference to the song to which I have linked any readers above, which is a contemporary version of the old Billy Graham invitational hymn, Just As I Am. And as Roper notes, to illustrate his ODB entry today, as one hears Fernando Ortega singing the song, there is a brief “selah” in the song, and one can hear the voice of Billy Graham giving testimony to his self realization of just how much of a sinner he was - even after he was saved by God’s mercy and grace.

Please take the time to hear and meditate upon the songs linked above.

The Apostle Paul certainly recognized this when he wrote his famous self-recognition passage in Romans, Chapter 7, linked above, which became the launching pad for the explosive “victory in Christ” exposé in Romans, Chapter 8 [see the first four and last two verses linked above]. Paul later, when he was writing to his young preacher protégée, Timothy, touting himself the “chief” of all sinners. The Apostle knew who he was; and he wanted Timothy to know himself as well.

In writing these passages, cited above, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, Paul wasn’t wallowing in self pity. No, he was simply recognizing who he was as a sinner and Whose he had become as a saved saint. And I hope all reading here can recognize the human potential for sin which still resides in our flesh; but then again, I pray we all ALSO recognize all the truth of Romans 8 in declaring that nothing can separate us - as born-again saints - from the love of God when we own it and claim it in Christ [see Romans 8: 37-38 linked above].

My Prayer for Today … Lord, You saved me from myself; and now, in You, I daily find victory over self and sin. … Amen

Blogger Note: Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread [TGIF], distributed online via email by RBC Ministries. If you GO TO THIS LINK  on the date of my blog, you’ll find a link to read the Our Daily Bread blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: