Wednesday, April 13, 2016

April 13, 2016: Our Desires = Our Choices

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2016 - Day 104  

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a video of the group, Hillsong, leading in worship and singing Lord, I Give You My Heart,… declaring that our desires to worship our Lord are wrapped up in our choices.


Highlight Passage:  Luke 12:34 [NKJV] … 
6 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.   … As we make choices, we reveal our desires. 
===========
Highlight Context – Luke 12:22-34 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK 
… Jesus … on how our choices reflect our heart.
============      

Reference Passage #1 - Matthew 6:33 [NKJV] …  
33 Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things [our worldly needs] shall be added to you. 
 … Jesus gives his fool proof method for avoiding the trap our sin nature.

Reference Passage #2 - John 14:21 [NKJV] …  
21 He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.” 
 … What, or whom, do we love? Well our choices will reveal our desires.

My Journal for Today:  Today’s Our Daily Bread author, Joe Stowell, uses a personalized word picture to make here devotional point. He wrote: A When commuting into Chicago on the train, I always followed the “unwritten codes of conduct”—such as, no conversations with people sitting next to you if you don’t know them. That was tough on a guy like me who has never met a stranger. I love talking to new people! Although I kept the code of silence, I realized that you can still learn something about people based on the section of the newspaper they read. So I’d watch to see what they turned to first: The business section? Sports? Politics? Current events? Their choices revealed their interests. 

And there’s a lot of truth and reality there, isn’t there? I heard someone say once, “Just show me your calendar and your checkbook, and I’ll show you where your heart lies.” And that really, in essence, was what Jesus was saying to his followers (and disciples) in today’s ODB highlight Scriptures, as well as in Matthew 6:33 and John 14:21.

And I don’t really think we need a stronger or more clear exhortation than from Jesus, do we, to show that our choices do, in truth, reflect our heart-felt desires. And all too often we find ourselves making selfish choices, showing our very human nature, rather than choosing, as Jesus also said, “to deny our selves … and follow Him.” (Yes, as I site so often from Luke 9:23!)

So, what will I choose today? Will it be for my self or my Savior?

My Prayer Today:  Heavenly Father, … As Hillsong sings, “I give You my heart Lord; … have Your way in me!” Amen  

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: