Friday, March 06, 2009

2009 – Day 64.Mar. 6 – Hard of Hearing

2009 – Day 64.Mar. 6 – Hard of Hearing

Passage of the Day: Exodus 3: 4 – 22 …
Read from this link …

My Journal for Today: Well, this new deal from God to Moses was a bit hard to take. I can imagine Moses saying to himself, “Did I hear that right?” … Here was the transformed shepherd who had been working his flocks in obscurity for the last 40 years; and now this bush was telling him that God would use him as the instrument to deliver God’s people from 400+ years of slavery.

“Did I hear that right?”

Many times it’s hard to hear God’s calling through the tyranny of the urgencies of life, … through the din of informational noise coming from our culture, and filtered through our out-right deceitful hearts. We can become spiritually hard of hearing when God tries to break through with His plan … with His calling for our lives.

I know when God began calling me into ministry in my discipleship years ago, my first reaction was, “Who, God, … me?” I simply couldn’t imagine that God would take a sinner like me with a track record of over 20 years of habitual sexual sin and over 12 years of infidelity to my wife and to use me for His glory. I was definitely hard of hearing to God’s call for me to be used by Him as a delivery agent to help transform other Christians who had become mired in sexual sin.

So, I identify with Moses’ selective spiritual “hearing loss.” It’s tough to hear God calling when we’ve got mufflers on our spiritual ears from years of sin and shame. It’s tough to hear God’s will when the enemy would deceive us with his very loud lies of condemnation and discouragement. But when we do try hard to listen, God will speak His will for us. Oh, it may not be in a burning bush; but it will come through His word, through His witnesses, through His ordained and anointed preachers and teachers, and through that still small voice He has planted in our hearts, … the Holy Spirit.

And when we do hear God calling, we need to recognize and acknowledge a truth taught to me by my mentor years ago; and that is, “God’s calling is His enablement.” As Swindoll points out, “In God’s calling, He has a plan; but He never expects you (alone) to carry out that plan. He’s going to pull it off. He simply wants you to be the instrument of action. After all it’s His reputation that is at stake, not yours. All He asks is that you give yourself to Him as a tool He can pick up and use.”

How about it? Are you ready to unplug your ears; and listen carefully so that God can give you His plan? Are you ready to be used for God’s glory … maybe loudly like a Moses … or maybe quietly like a Daniel. But if you are His, He CAN use you! And if you hear His will and follow it, He WILL use you.

My Prayer for Today: Lord, thank you for calling me out and giving me the ears to hear. And oh how I want to be surrendered to be used by You. Amen

No comments: