Sunday, January 21, 2018

January 21, 2018 ... His Promises

 Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 21

Devotional Song: ... GO TO THIS LINK ...  ... Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of song writer Laura Story describing why she wrote her song ... Every Word Your Breath ... which describes the power and importance of God’s word in the lives of those who believe in it being the very word of God.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: 2 Peter 1:4 [NLT] ... 4 And because of His glory and excellence, Hehas given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share His divine nature and escape the world’s corruption caused by human desires.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: 2 Peter 1:1-9 [NLT] ... USE THIS LINK ... ... God, thru Peter, declares the power of God’s promises thru His word.
=============

Reference Passage : ... Psalm 119:9-16 [NLT] ... USE THIS LINK ... ... We stay pure by planting God’s promises in our hearts from His word.

Reference Passage : ... Proverbs 3:5-6 [NLT] ... USE THIS LINK ... ...Our God helps us by leading us through life by trusting in His promises.

Reference Passage : ... Isaiah 55:11 [NLT] ... 11 It is the same with my word. I send it out, and it always produces fruit. It will accomplish all I want it to, and it will prosper everywhere I send it. 
... God’s word will always accomplish what He desires to communicate to us, including imparting His promises to us.

Reference Passage : ... 2 Timothy 3:16-17 [NLT] ... 16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. 17 God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.
... God’s word is gives us God’s promises and His power to live the life He desires for us.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Adam Holt, related a personal story to illustrate why promises kept are so important to maintain relationships with love/trust. The ODB author wrote: My youngest daughter and I have a game we call “Pinchers.” When she goes up the stairs, I’ll chase her and try to give her a little pinch. The rules are that I can only pinch her (gently, of course!) when she’s on the stairs. Once she’s at the top, she’s safe. Sometimes, though, she’s not in the mood to play. And if I follow her up the stairs, she’ll sternly say, “No pinchers!” I’ll respond, “No pinchers. I promise.” 
Now, that promise may seem a little thing. But when I do what I say, my daughter begins to understand something of my character. She experiences my consistency. She knows my word is good, that she can trust me. It’s a little thing, keeping such a promise. But promises—or, keeping them, I should say—are the glue of relationships. They lay a foundation of love and trust.

Do we understand why God’s word is so important to our relationship of love and trust in His promises? Other than consuming and trusting in the truth of God’s word (i.e., The Bible), how would we ever come to believe in His promises and then live by them?

Some have ask me why I am here EVERY DAY, delving into God’s word; and the answer is simple. God’s word is where I find His promises and direction for life. That’s what is spelled out in the Scriptures linked/copied above. It’s what Laura Story relates in the commentary on the song she wrote. If we don’t know God’s promises and then live by trusting them, where are we? And the answer is ... “ON OUR OWN!”

 And that, dear one is a very scary proposition. And so, you can find me right back here tomorrow, taking in more of God’s true promises and then doing all I can to live by them.

=============
My THANKFULNESS: ... Oh Lord, Jesus, thank You for giving me Your promises from Your word.
 =============

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, ... King Jesus, ... Precious Spirit ... Today, again, I devour Your promises from Your word and then go out to live them. ... Amen

 Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.</ span>

No comments: