Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A Prayer for God's Armament


I hope I can assume that as a Christian you agree that we're in a battle every day to protect our testimony and witness as Christians against our spiritual enemies, ... Satan, the world, and our own deceitful hearts [i.e., "flesh"]. This warfare is clearly laid out by the Apostle Paul in Ephesians 6: 10 - 13 [link provided].

For years now in my Christian discipleship I have had a morning preparation "ritual" of getting dressed for battle. I agree with the passage linked above that our battles are more spiritual than carnal; and I'm not strong enough, in and of myself, to do battle in Christ's Name. Satan is a powerful enemy ... much more powerful than I am in my own flesh. I recognize and believe the truth that, as a Christian, I have power from God which is far more powerful than Satan or his world (see 1John 4: 4). However, every day in battle against my spiritual foes, I need to wear God's full armor and to carry His sword of the Spirit and to take the high ground of prayer as God's word describes in Ephesians 6: 13 - 18.

That's why I come to God each morning, humbly praying and "dressing myself" (at least mentally and spiritually) for the day's battles ahead. ... Perhaps you are like me and need to get ready for battle each day. Well, if so, I've decided to formalize and write out my prayer for God's full armor. These may not be exactly the words I've been using for all these years as I get ready for my day ahead; but this prayer captures the essence of what I pray for as I get ready to do battle in Christ's Name.

So, I share this with any Christian warrior who desires to be stronger in spiritual warfare and wants to get ready to do battle daily. I hope this preparation of prayer helps you as it has for me ...
================
A Prayer for God’s Full Armor
by ... Bill Berry

Heavenly Father, … Lord Jesus, … precious Holy Spirit; … I am here today as I am on other days, praying for a covering of Your full armor. As the Apostle taught believers in his letter to believers like me in Ephesus, we are in a battle to protect our witness as Christians every day; and the warfare is not carnal but spiritual; and my spirit needs the promise of your love, and strength, and of a sound mind, as you promised Timothy through Paul in 2nd Tim. 1: 7.

So, I come humbly this day to seek the covering of your full armor. Help me, Lord, to put on Your breastplate of righteousness, which protects the PURITY of my heart … to strap on the belt of truth, which girds me with INTEGRITY … to wear the sandals of the gospel of peace in order to walk into battle and stand with SURETY as I face my enemies … to be protected by my shield of faith, which gives me CERTAINTY as I stand with other warriors in Your Name … and to wear Your helmet of salvation to protect my SANITY, avoiding all fear as I go into battle this day.

And Lord, my Commander, I stand ready to do battle with the sword of Your Spirit, which is Your ever powerful and penetrating Word. I carry an ever ready, sharpened, and practiced sword of truth into battle; and as you used it in the wilderness against our common foe, I stand ready to wield its sharp blade of truth to bring down the strongholds of sin in my life or to help other warriors on the battlefields of life.

And I will also come, as I am now, to this high ground in prayer, humbly seeking Your grace, Lord. And it is only through Your grace that I can stand ready this day and empowered to do battle in Your Name. So, into my humbled heart, dear Lord, as you said to Your servant, Paul, in 2nd Cor. 12: 9, … pour your sufficient grace to give me Your strength to shore up my weaknesses.

Oh, Lord, how I desire to come from this high ground, wearing this armor into battle and carrying your powerful Sword … so that You might shine a light of victory into this darkened and war-weary world as I do battle in Your wondrous Name, … that Name above all names, Who is Jesus!

Amen

=============

And if you have used this prayer to help you get ready for battle, please let me know by contacting me via email @ billb13@bellsouth.net . And I pray that you will be strengthened in your spiritual battles for Christ ... <'BB><

No comments: