Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Annual Ken-Lake Pilgrimage




Each year our Church in Collierville, TN, makes two weekend pilgrimages to Ken-Lake Resort, near Hardin, KY. The Resort is situated on a beautiful lake in Southwestern Kentucky, one of the lakes created by the incredible earthquake of 1811 involving the New Madrid fault. This earthquake was so great, it created fissures in the earth, into which the Mississippi River backflowed filling the gaps to form a chain of lakes. But that's a story of the past. Now, until another earthquake of this fault (which is supposed to happen one day), we can come to this area in Kentucky and enjoy the beautiful fall scenery and the lovely lakes.

And that's exactly what our adult Christian classes (i.e., "Sunday School" classes) do each year on the first two weekends in November. We hold adult Christian retreats, where a number of the teachers present lessons of faith out here in the midst of "God's country," where we can get away, relax, and be filled with the truth of God's word. Elly and I have been coming up here now for about 10 years or more; and each year it's a glorious experience of fellowship, fun, and the love of God being expressed through His creation.

I've also had the opportunity to teach at this retreat for all these years as well; and I also pray that God can use my teaching gifts for His glory up here. And so far, some of the best teaching sessions he has ever given me have been up here. But above you see a couple of fotos that I've take up at Ken-Lake of the gorgeous sunrises. Each year I go down the hill from the resort early on Saturday and Sunday mornings (when weather permits) to "the point" where there are a couple of benches by the lake (you can see them in one of the fotos above). It's a wonderful spot to have a morning devotional time; and as you can see in these two fotos (taken last year - it was overcast this year), many times I can see some breathtaking displays of color as the sun rises over the lake.

Today, because of the cold, overcast weather there will not be such a color display. However, I just spent my morning devotional and prayer time bundled up down on the bench. There was very little wind; and when I'm there I always feel very close to God. It's always such a sweet time; and I look forward to making this pilgrimage each year to take in God's glory by the lake and to be used by Him to teach others and to grow closer to Him through the fellowship.

For anyone who might read this, I hope you have some special traditions in your life which bring you very close to God ... like the Ken-Lake experience is for me each year. As I sit here this year overlooking the lake in the resort and watching the sun come up, I'm so grateful to be connected to my Lord in this place with these people and in this time. It helps to remind me how small I am and how big my God truly is.

And oh, what a big God we love and serve. May the "Ken-Lakes" of our life give us glimpses of the glory to come. <'BB><

No comments: