Monday, November 03, 2008

Pursuing Godly Wisdom - November - Day 3

November 3, 2008 …

Passage of the Day:
James 3: 13 from the NIV … Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom.

James 3: 13 from the NASB … Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom.

James 3: 13 from the NKJV … 13 Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show by good conduct that his works are done in the meekness of wisdom.

My Journal for Today: Okay, for those who’re following my devotional journal entries, we’re back for another day with the exhortation from James to find the wise among us. And we’ve seen that, according to the brother of Jesus, a wise Christian is one who behaves in a Godly manner, with actions consistent with God’s way of doing business in the world.

BUT (and this is not a small BUT), in the latter part of verse 13, we read that deeds done by the wise Christian should be those which exhibit “gentleness” or “meekness” of wisdom [see the NAS and NKJ versions above]. I’ve studied and I’m sharing three versions for this verse with you today because there are three English terms used to describe the type of wisdom one should look for when observing the behavior of the Christian. The NIV is a scholarly translation; but in this instance I think that the NASB or the NKJV are closer in accurately interpreting the Greek meaning for what the NIV calls the “humility of wisdom.”

The Greek term used in this key part of James 3: 13 is “prautes,” which is from the root word “praos,” which Jesus used to describe Himself in Matt. 11: 29, … calling Himself, “meek” or “gentle.” So, the use of “gentleness” in the NASB or “meekness” in the NKJV to describe the character of the wisdom exhibited by Christians is a better rendering [I believe] than the use of the term “humility” in the NIV.

As I just made reference, MEEKNESS is one of the only adjectives ever used by Jesus to describe Himself (again – Matt. 11: 29). And Jesus also laid His blessing on anyone who showed meekness (see His blessing in the beatitude of Matt. 5: 5). All of these scriptural references to meekness, though they may be differing Greek words, “prautes, praotes, praus, and/or praos,” all express the same root meaning; and that is to place strength under control when living out our lives. When it applies to a person, he/she could be one with great inner or outer strength, but that one would definitely be one who is willing to submit that strength to self-control in the pressure of the moment. We’d call that person “cool” today, wouldn’t we? And wasn’t Jesus just the “coolest” person ever? He had all power at His disposal, yet he willingly released that power during his walk as a Man for the glory of His Father (see Phil. 2: 5 – 11).

So, James is saying in today’s verse that wisdom is exhibited by the Christian who can reign in his emotions and or personal power, surrendering them to God’s Spirit, and exhibiting great restraint under the pressure of the world. What about it? Are we cool (i.e., gentle, meek, or restrained) under fire? Are we what James would call “wise” believers? Are we like Jesus under pressure?

Personally, I’ve got a [LONG!] way to go [or grow] on that one!

My Prayer Today: Help me to be meek, like You, Lord. Amen

2 comments:

Carl B Schultz said...

I still remember sitting in group with you and listening to you teach on 'meekness.' In my recollection, you taught it as a verb and used the example of 'meeking a horse' in order to bring strength under control. That word-picture has stuck with me and served as a constant reminder of in what direction I am to grow as a disciple.

As you know, there have been times since then, when my 'strength' has gotten out of control, usually in the form of 'rhetoric.' But you, serving as the good shepherd have always gently but insistently guided me back to the path of humility and meekness.

I say this to share that as a Christian, I must constantly be vigilant to 'meek' myself. It is a process, not a project, and will never be complete in my life-time on earth. Like you I have a long way to 'grow' in this direction. Thank you for your exposition of God's word on this subject and the refresher that I need.

Bill said...

Well, Carl, ... perhaps you were right in the business of me posting blogs daily rather than monthly. This is the first comment I've had since I began blogging my devotional entries some months ago.

And what a humbling, yet encouraging, comment yours was. I'm glad that this entry seemed to trip a cord of discipleship for you. Humility and meekness - the two Jesus qualities as I call them (from Matt. 11: 29) - have always been root pursuits in my daily walk. And you're right; we'll never be 100% of God's standard on these qualities; but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be shooting for and praying to attain that level of perfection.

I told someone today on the BPM forums, we certainly wouldn't want a surgeon or a bank whose goal was 90% accuracy, would we? And God certainly doesn't want us to pursue 90% humility or meekness. He wants us to be like Christ - nothing less than 100%. And according to Phil. 1: 6 that's where we're headed; but until we get there we need to make "meek" and "humble" as two verbs we apply to our minds in order to capture as much of God's grace we can to move in that direction.

Thanks again for your comment ... <'BB><