Friday, February 27, 2009

2009 – Day 57.Feb.27 – Living In Obscurity

2009 – Day 57.Feb.27 – Living In Obscurity

Passage of the Day: Exodus 2: 16 – 25 …
Linked to passage for study …

My Journal for Today: Today’s passage of emphasis, very much the same as the last few days, speaks to me loudly and personally. For many years of my life I had a schizoid drive in my life. One side had me compulsively pursuing pleasure; and the other was a drive to be recognized and affirmed by the worldly “important” people in my life. The former drove me to hide my pleasure seeking self; and the latter drove me to be lauded, and seen as a big shot in my worldly career choice. Somehow, I imagine that Moses had similar human drives.

He was a pretender to the Kingship of Egypt, driven to be seen as the #1 son of Pharaoh and all that comes with that image; and he must’ve also had this God-driven self which wondered who he really was, the latter ultimately leading to his discovery of his Jewish heritage.

Well, in today’s passage, he had been led, by God’s leading I believe, into the Midianite wilderness, and he chose to receive the graceful offer of a priestly shepherd to dwell in this strange land … and even to become a Bedouin shepherd, perhaps one of the lowliest career choices as viewed by Egyptian royalty. Yes, it took God’s engineered plan to break Moses of his desire for prominence and to be shaped in humility for the greatness and leadership which would follow. Moses had to learn to have a servant’s heart for him to become God’s leader/deliver.

How about you; can you identify with Moses’ desires and his drives here; and are you willing to be shaped in obscurity for what God has for you in this life? Obscurity, in God’s economy and design, is not a bad thing; and it may by God’s plan, having given you a gift or gifts that are perfectly compatible for obscure service in His kingdom, to have you live out your entire life behind the scenes. If you’re in a church you probably know of absolutely essential servants who do their thing in the background, … barely noticed, but always there to do things which often put others in the limelight; … but you can see that the things these obscure servants do are used for God’s purposes and His glory.

Yet, there are times when obscurity, as in Moses’ situation, is used to sharpen or shape the Christian’s gifts for His glory. A season of brokenness and obscurity is often necessary for the Christlike attitudes of meekness and humility to be fashioned in one’s soul. This was Moses, who undoubtedly had Spirit-given gifts of leadership and spiritual discernment, likely even prophetic, visionary gifts. But he didn’t have those qualities of a servant, including humility, which would be necessary for him to be used for God’s glory later. So, he was led into obscurity for God to fashion the man He could use to deliver His people from bondage.

I don’t know your gift set. I most certainly don’t know what God has as His plan for your life. But if you’re in an obscure place in this life and world; and you’d rather be more recognized and rewarded for what you do every day for God’s glory, take heart. Maybe God has you in the wilderness, shaping you for His future plan for your life. But if, in your obscurity, you are perfectly happy to be the obscure servant, using your gifts, perhaps mercy, service, or anonymous giving, then God may have you exactly where He can and will use you for His glory. Realize that your obscurity may be, or is, EXACTLY where God wants you to be right now or for your life.

My heart (see Jer. 17: 9, link provided) has always sought recognition and affirmation from the world; and God has had to shape me to recognize that I don’t have to lead a big, national, or worldwide ministry to be used by Him for His glory. I now realize God, the Father, shaped and certainly used God, the Son, Who came into contact with very few people in His earthly witness and ministry. But Jesus’ impact shaped a world; and I have had to learn that all I need to do is witness and serve the ones God puts in my life, with God’s Spirit to give me power (see Acts 1: 8 with this link), and I will be used in humility and meekness for my God’s glory.

Oh, may I set aside pride and the desire for recognition and just move forward in obscurity to serve my Lord.

My Prayer for Today: That is my kingdom prayer this day, Lord; and that is enough for any day in my life. Amen

No comments: