Monday, February 09, 2009

2009 - Day 39.Feb.9 - Final Promise

2009 – Day 39.Feb.9

Passage of the Day: Genesis 45: 8 – 9 …
27 So Israel dwelt in the land of Egypt, in the country of Goshen; and they had possessions there and grew and multiplied exceedingly. 28 And Jacob lived in the land of Egypt seventeen years. So the length of Jacob’s life was one hundred and forty-seven years. 29 When the time drew near that Israel must die, he called his son Joseph and said to him, “Now if I have found favor in your sight, please put your hand under my thigh, and deal kindly and truly with me. Please do not bury me in Egypt, 30 but let me lie with my fathers; you shall carry me out of Egypt and bury me in their burial place.” And he [Joseph] said, “I will do as you have said.” 31 Then he [Jacob] said, “Swear to me.” And he [Joseph] swore to him. So Israel bowed himself on the head of the bed.

My Journal for Today: As Swindoll points out in his devotional for today, deathbed promises are not that uncommon; but in this text for today we read of a rather bizarre custom that apparently was a serious way to take oaths in those days in the middle east.

Jacob asked his son to promise him that he’d make sure old “Israel” was buried in Canaan, the Promised Land, … not in Egypt, where the family had migrated to stay alive and be with Joseph. And he asked Joseph to make this vow by placing his hand under his dad’s buttocks. Sounds somewhat weird; doesn’t it? But we have similar funny ways of taking vows here. We ask the person taking the vow, “To swear on a stack of Bibles;” or maybe we say, “Cross your heart and hope to die.” This posture of “hand under my thigh” in those days would have been like the President putting his hand on the Bible and taking the oath of office. It was serious business; and Joseph pledged that he would insure that his daddy was buried back in his homeland.

Interestingly enough, this very day I leave, along with about 65 other pilgrims from our church, to see the very Holy Land to which old Jacob wanted to return to be buried. And I feel like God is saying to me that I’m blessed to go and see this “Promised Land,” to which Israel must return one day, especially when our Lord, Jesus, the very Messiah for which Jacob and Joseph longed, walked the earth, died, and was resurrected as the Redeemer of His people, … first the Jews and then for those, like me, who’ve been grafted into the Family of God.

I feel so blessed to be headed today to see that land to which Jacob longed to return.

My Prayer for Today: Lord, may our walking where Jesus walked help me to know You more deeply and serve you more powerfully. But I know that such a pilgrimage must begin in my heart and commence in Your presence. Amen

No comments: