Saturday, June 20, 2009

2009 – Day 170.June 20 – Invincible

2009 – Day 170.June 20 – Invincible

Passage of the Day: 1st Kings 18: 22 – 40 …
Linked for study ...

My Journal for Today:
Swindoll brings up a good point as we revisit this passage about Elijah’s confrontation with the prophets of Baal. Essentially my devotional shepherd asks, “Where does a Christian feel most invincible?" And the answer is simple. Any man (or woman) of God, as was Elijah, feels most invincible when he/she is centered in the will of God.

You can have joy even having just lost your job – IF – you know that you’re in the will of God. You can have peace in a raging storm – IF – you’re in Christ’s boat and you know that He’s in total control of the storm. But the opposite is also true. We will be nervous as Christians – maybe even riddled with anxiety - even when the world is flooding us with positive – WHEN – we know that we’re convicted by God’s Spirit being outside the will of God. Have you been there in either, or both, of these circumstances? I sure have. And I know that I only can feel invincible when I’m totally centered in the will of God.

As we reread today, Elijah was totally in the will of God; and you could tell it, couldn’t you? As Swindoll points out, in this passage today, Elijah speaks out eight times to the prophets or to the people; and in each instance, Elijah is assertive and confident. As Swindoll writes, “[Elijah] didn’t shift; he didn’t stutter; he didn’t suggest.” No, our hero was in command mode; because he knew God was in control; and he was soundly centered in the will of God.

I hope you’re feeling grounded in God’s will today. I know that right now, as I write this, I’m feeling that. Here, in my quiet place, where I come each morning, I am exactly where I need to be to begin my day, pursuing God’s truth, praising His Name, and praying for God’s guidance and protection. As I experience almost every day, coming to this place to begin my day takes me to a place where I know I’m grounded in God’s will, seeking His way from His word. So, the rest of my day, though I may find myself in a storm of challenge, I can more likely hold onto the joy and peace and strength I feel right now.

I hope (and I will pray below) that any who are with me here will begin each day, finding the invincible feeling of being in the center of God’s will, especially as we are immersed in the truth of God’s word.

My Prayer for Today: Lord, help any who read this to come to Your place of honor each morning – in Your word – and to find the joy and peace and strength which come from starting the day with You. Amen

No comments: