Friday, June 26, 2009

2009 – Day 176.June 26 – Look Up

2009 – Day 176.June 26 – Look Up

Passage of the Day: 1st Kings 19 …
Linked for your study ...

My Journal for Today:
As Elisha left the cave where God had provided re-creation and renewal for His Prophet, we see God’s mercy and grace in abundance and a reminder that God wants us to live and work in community … what we know of as the fellowship of believers … or in this day, the Church.

As we read in 1st Kings 19, God leads Elijah out and provides him with a charge and a companion. In this case we’re introduced to God’s new standard bearer, Elisha, who not only was to be Elijah’s friend and co-minister; but God’s provision of Elisha was given to Elijah to minister to the needs of our Prophet-hero as well.

So, can we see how important it is look up to God and follow Him as God’s word instructs us in Luke 9: 23? For not only will The Lord provide us with a plan, His purpose, and His power; but He will also provide us with our needs in the community we know of as the Church. The promise of Matt. 18: 20 comes to mind here, where Christ says clearly to His disciples, … “For where two or three are gathered together in My Name, I am there in the midst of them.” And there is the exhortation of God’s word in Galatians 6: 9 – 10 as well as Hebrews 10: 24 – 25, which tells us that we should never be Lone Ranger Christians … that we were meant to live and work and have our being in community.

And in this passage today we see how God moves His plan and purpose forward, providing for the passing of the baton of service from Elijah to Elisha; and in the process God provides them both with friendship and a co-ministry companionship. I have experienced this type of torch passing in my life. God brought me to a man of God in my mentor, Dr. Bob, years ago. And he became my friend and biblical guide for a dozen years as he discipled and taught me. Then, he told me, “Bill, it’s time for you to be mentoring others;” and he passed the mantle of leadership to me with a commission to fulfill God’s Great Commission [see Matt. 28: 19 – 20]. Now, I have been given the charge and privilege to mentor several other men in the ministry God led me into a number of years ago; and all of these younger men have been friends, companions, and co-ministry warriors with me.

I pray that, as a “Timothy” in this life, God has provided you with a “Paul” to help shape you more fully into Christ’s image; and then I pray that once you’ve become a “Paul,” God will lead you to pass the torch of ministry on to a “Timothy” by mentoring others to carry the banner of Christ forward.

Look up, dear one, and let God guide you in this trek to Christlikeness and Godliness.

My Prayer for Today: Lord, I look to you to bring me those I need to carry your standard in life. Amen

No comments: