Sunday, August 09, 2009

2009 – Day 220.Aug 09 – Necessary Consequences

Passage of the Day: Job 1: 13 – 22 … Linked for study …

My Journal for Today:
Today Chuck Swindoll does a little renewing of purpose from the latter half of Job 1. He reminds those of us who’re following his devotional book that many of us may be able to empathize with Job, the man of God and Godly man we study in the Scriptural account by his name. And if you’re reading along with me, you may be one of them. Certainly I am one.

And so Swindoll reiterates that God has a perspective on time and events which we do not have. Swindoll didn’t quote from it; but I have pointed to Isaiah 55: 8-9 and Romans 8: 28 the last few days to let God’s word tell us that there are just some circumstances in our lives which God cannot or will not explain which He imparts or sanctions in our lives which are for our good. And we often become like rebellious teenagers who just don’t understand what a caring father is doing as we experience a severe grounding or some harsher privation.

Right now in my life I have some serious shoulder arthritis which is keeping me from the one form or exercise which I’ve used in the past to help control my diabetes, which God likely allowed into my life to help me deal with my gluttonous nature. So, I get into the habit of swimming to control my blood sugar; and I had become quite disciplined at it to be able to avoid taking harsh medications to control the diabetes. Well, now, along comes this shoulder pain and I’m not able to swim laps anymore. And I’m here wondering why God would bring this life limiting pain into my life which keeps me from doing something very positive (i.e., swimming) to be a good steward of the body God gave me to glorify Him. What’s this all about, I wonder?

Do you have anything like that in your life; … some issue in life which you can’t understand the “WHY” behind it? Maybe you just wonder why God would allow the world to fall apart financially the way it has. Perhaps you have been a good steward of God’s providence and you are perplexed to see why the government would do what it has, bailing out companies and throwing the country into debt which you know will come crashing down around your family in the future. Why has God allowed this to happen?

Yes, my dear one, there are just some things we cannot, nor likely will not, ever be able to explain; but we can do what Job did. And in today’s passage we see Job following the advice of a man he never knew, … a man who would live centuries later, the old Apostle Peter in 1st Peter 5: 7, when he wrote to Christians, “… humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, … casting all your cares on Him Who cares for you.” It’s all we really can do, my fellow believer, when things have run amuck and we are totally unable to see why God has allowed into our lives what has transpired.

God may seem absent; and it may seem like He doesn’t care; but I will pray for us today to understand and believe that God is never absent; … and He always cares.

My Prayer for Today: Oh, dear Lord, help all of us who love You to see that You have our backs and You are working all things together for our good. Amen

No comments: