Friday, April 02, 2010

2010 – April 2 – A Motley Crew

Study from God’s Word1st Samuel 21: 1- 12; Psalm 56; 1st Sam. 21: 13-15; Psalm 34; 1st Sam. 22: 1,2; Psalm 142; 1st Chronicles 12: 8-18; 1st Samuel 22: 3-5 … Passage for Reflection: 1st Samuel 22: 2 … NIV 2 And everyone who was in distress, everyone who was in debt, and everyone who was discontented gathered to him.

My Journal for Today: Dr. Smith, my devotional author/editor, aptly points out the parallel between David as a leader and our Savior, Jesus, both of whom attracted a rather “motley crew” of followers. It is interesting to note how Jesus surrounded Himself with a small band of disciples, who were, when you analyze them, not the types of men you might select to set the world on fire for the gospel message. But both Jesus and David knew to trust the guiding light of the Holy Spirit, Who was upon both of these leaders, to select those men who were led to David and to Jesus individually to be their disciples and warriors.

Have you ever wondered, as have I, why Jesus chose you [or me] to be His disciple? When I think of what I was like when God, the Holy Spirit, pursued me, I identify with being part of that ”motley crew” who was led to Jesus – and to David. Somehow, when I was at my lowest point of brokenness, Jesus saw something in me that He could use for God’s glory; and He pursued me; and that pursuit was very purposeful and powerful, as I even tried to avoid Him for a long time. But being the “Hound of Heaven,” my Lord saw something of value in me; and He came after me, until I finally surrendered and became part of His “motley crew” of followers.

Perhaps, like me, you identify with some of Jesus’ original 12 … and/or the add-on, Paul, the latter Apostle. Most certainly I see a lot of Peter in myself; and as one who has had a “Damascus Road” type conversion, I see a lot of Paul in me as well. And now, I know that I follow my Lord, just like that original “motley crew” of disciples followed Jesus, and like David’s men followed him. Sometimes, I don’t know where Jesus is leading me; and I’m sure that was the case for David’s men, especially as he led them into that cave in the Negev as they were escaping Saul. But I do know that I’m following the Right One; and like David, Who only followed His Lord, we, who follow Jesus, should be able to say, with confidence, as David sung in Psalm 56; 3-4, When I am afraid, I will trust in You. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?

When we, the “motley crew” following Jesus, find ourselves being afraid in the midst of challenging times or even persecution, we can say, as did the Apostle Paul (in Romans 8: 31), If God be for me, who can stand against me. We can also cry out what God said to all of His motley followers [in Is. 41: 10], So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

And when you internalize and believe in the truth of these words, aren’t you glad you’re part of the “motley crew” who follows Jesus?

My Prayer for Today: Lord, I am with You because I know You’re with me. Amen

No comments: