Wednesday, April 28, 2010

2010 – April 28 – Contentment in God’s Hands

Study from God’s Word Psalms 76, 84, 90, 92, 112, and 115 … Passage for Reflection: Psalm 84: 10 … NIV 10 Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked.

My Journal for Today: Dr. Smith, in my devotional book, The Daily Bible Devotional, opens today with a question from an old adage we’ve all heard at some time in our lives, ”Why does the grass so often seem greener on the other side of the fence? Sure, rags to riches stories make for interesting reading; and having goals to better one’s self is not a bad thing, in and of itself. But when it is the world’s values which drives us upward to a different place in life, today’s highlight passage from God’s truth is most pertinent to bring us back into Godly focus.

But how many people, when they have an opportunity to grab hold of more power or prestige, or they are offered a whopping raise, will say, as the Psalmist might paraphrase from Psalm 84: 10, “I’ll just stay here, minding God’s door, rather than buy into the more, better, or faster life offered by the world.” When we look over the fence and know we can get over there to consume those ever greener grasses, which so often seem so luscious and appealing, are we willing to be content with where God has us right now even if it’s a career or position in life devalued by the world?

Where should our aspirations lie as Christians? And how much does an attitude of gratitude shape our choices, especially when we know we’re able to serve God mightily where He has led un in our life? If lured to bigger and better worldly things or positions of more earthly power, can we be like the Apostle Paul, whom I remember expressing his values – which are Godly values – in Phil. 4: 12 – 13. ... And now, click on the link I’m providing here to read and meditate on that passage; and then ask yourself, ”Am I really content with where God has led me; and if not, why not?” And in the same vain, we need to analyze what values are driving us forward. Are they the values of the world; or are they values which emanate from God’s word or from His Spirit?

And when we answer those questions honestly, we’ll have a focus on whether we can be content with God’s providence and His leading in our lives. I pray contentment for all who seek and follow God’s will, especially when we find it and know it.

My Prayer for Today: Lord, help me to be content with what You give me and where You lead me. Amen

No comments: