Monday, April 05, 2010

2010 – April 5 – An Impatient Faith

Study from God’s Word1st Samuel 28: 1 – 25; 1st Samuel 31: 1 – 10 [also 1st Chronicles 10: 1 – 12]; 1st Samuel 31: 11 – 13; 1st Chron. 10: 13 – 14; 2nd Samuel 4: 4; 2nd Samuel 1: 1 - 27 … Passage for Reflection: 1st Chronicles 10: 13 – 14 … NIV 13 Saul died because he was unfaithful to the LORD; he did not keep the word of the LORD and even consulted a medium for guidance, 14 and did not inquire of the LORD. So the LORD put him to death and turned the kingdom over to David son of Jesse.

My Journal for Today: F. LaGard Smith points out in my devotional for today that Saul may have argued with the contention, in today’s focus passage, that he “did not inquire of the LORD.” And actually, when we read through this account we see, historically, that he did seek the LORD’s guidance after he was struck with fear over facing the Philistines. And we also learn that God withheld sharing “the answers” with Saul for a period of time, until Saul, with great impatience, sought out the Witch of Endor, who was charged to conjure up the spirit of Samuel, the Prophet. But, of course, in the end that was God raising up the Spirit through the personage of Samuel to speak to Saul; and rebuke him for his fearfulness, his impatience, and his lack of willingness to walk in obedience to the LORD.

Dr. Smith is right, in this morning’s devotional, when he states a question I need to ask myself. He writes [for me], ”If I grow impatient with God and take spiritual matters in my own hands, can I possibly conjure up anything but trouble?” And the answer to that one, of course, is a resounding “NO!”

PATIENCE, in that list of the fruit of the Spirit in Gal. 5: 22-23, is one of the more immature of my Spirit-given Fruit. Waiting on the LORD, with a patient spirit of obedience and humility has never been something that has come easily in my demeanor and habit patterns. Often, in life, we find ourselves praying and praying and waiting and waiting with no apparent answers from God to our prayers. But when God calls on us to trust in Him and cling to the truth that He, God, always has our best in His mind for us, we are simply – but often excruciatingly – under “the gun” to wait … and to keep praying … and praying … and praying.

I know that it is God’s will that my sister find Christ as Lord and Savior, as have I. But she resists; and I’ve been praying – FOR YEARS – that she come to a saving knowledge of Christ. But it has never happened … YET! So, should I take these matters in my own hands and go seek after the answer by asking a medium to assist me in my prayers to find the mind of God in this matter. No, God simply asks for me to trust Him and to keep praying; … and so, I will.

Oh, this business of building patience into my life can be so frustrating at times; but I know that God knows what is best for me in HIS timing and in HIS manner. And so, will all the patience I can muster, I continue – every day – to pray for my sister [and many other matters which require patience] … and to seek the LORD’s will for my life … yes, in HIS timing and in HIS way.

My Prayer for Today: Lord, I know this is a challenging prayer; but help me to have patience in seeking Your way and Your will for my life. Amen

No comments: