Thursday, September 22, 2011

September 22, 2011 … The Spirit and Adoption

Passage of the Day: Romans 8: 14 – 16 … [see in bold and underlined below] 12 Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation—but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it. 13 For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live, 14 because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. 15 For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of Sonship. And by Him we cry, "Abba, Father." 16 The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children.

My Journal for Today:
In the first century a father could, and occasionally would, adopt a son and choose to make the adopted son the primary heir of the father’s estate. This is the word picture to which Paul was referring in today’s passage from Romans 8; and it is a good one to describe what happens when any Christian becomes re-born, i.e., adopted, into the family of God, to become God’s heir for eternity (see also John 1: 12 – 13).

And consistent with this word picture and the truth of my adoption into God’s eternal family, The Church of true believers, all my ties (i.e., all my debts) to my former life were severed (see today’s verse); and I can now rightfully call my God, “Abba Father.” And with my adoption, God sealed the process by imparting His Spirit, … implanted in my heart to reshape me into the image of Christ Himself (see 2nd Cor. 5: 17 and Phil. 1: 6). Now, being a true adopted son of God, all my past sin debts are cancelled; and I have the right – at any time – to come into the presence of my Heavenly Father, The King, without any condemnation (see Rom. 8: 1). Now is that not cool, or what?!!!

All of this, as John MacArthur points out in his devotional for this date in Strength for Today, is superintended by the Holy Spirit so that we, who believe and receive our Father’s grace, can live as children of God (again, above see Rom. 8: 16).

I know this is not a long devotional journal entry, but it is so important that we “get it,” … that is … that we internalize the meaning of our true relationship with God, the Father, through God, the Son, as witnessed to our souls, by God, the Holy Spirit. So, here I am, right now in this place, coming to my Abba Father, because His Son has given me entry rights to the Throne Room; and I’m labeled and enabled by God’s Spirit to be here. And I hope (and pray) that you’re with me. … Are you?

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, I am Your son forever! Blessed be Your Name! And I just know that there are others here who embrace our adopted place in Your kingdom family. Amen

No comments: