Sunday, September 25, 2011

September 25, 2011 … The Need for Understanding

Passage of the Day: John 16: 12, 25 … [Jesus speaking] … 12 “I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. … 25 Though I have been speaking figuratively, a time is coming when I will no longer use this kind of language but will tell you plainly about my Father.”

My Journal for Today: It’s quite apparent that the original twelve Disciples were, at times, overwhelmed and cloudy, to say the least, by the teachings of their Master and the One Whom at least eleven of them, at the time He spoke the words of today’s highlighted passage, believed Jesus to be The Messiah. And when Jesus taught in figurative sayings or language (as in John 6: 35 or 6: 53 – 58 or 8: 12), His followers were perplexed. It was not until these men were indwelt by the Holy Spirit, after Jesus’ resurrection, did their light of understanding come on. And all one has to do to confirm this is to note Peter, the impetuous and wayward follower before Pentecost, the one who denied Christ before His death; and then we see Peter, the Apostle who became the steady-as-a-rock disciple after Pentecost, the one who could lead so many to Christ and the one who became the brilliant, Spirit-inspired preacher, pastor, and leader of the early Church. And what was the difference of Peter before and after Christ had ascended into heaven? You guessed it … the light of insight, edification, and power provided by God’s Spirit [see Acts 1: 8, also the words of Jesus to His disciples].

And while I certainly don’t compare my own mind to the depth of clarity displayed by Peter after Pentecost, I can well compare myself in my pre-Christian days to his impetuous nature as he balked in fear, running from who he really was in Christ. Yet, how I view and interpret God’s word now as compared to my pre-Christian days is like day versus night. Before I came to know Christ as my Savior/Lord, when I was an angry “agnostic,” God’s teachings, even when I took courses in the New Testament as literature in college, were unrevealed to me. It was like being in a fog and not having a clue as to my direction. However, now, with the Spirit’s guidance, God’s word draws me out of the fog of life, ever being a beacon that points me from the darkness into the light [as described in Psalm 119: 105].

Where would you be without the guiding light of God’s Spirit and the clarity provided by His word? Yes, even the Christian can be clueless, unless he/she surrenders and uses the Spirit-enlightened truth of Scripture to light the path of life. The darkness of this world can be overwhelming; but thankfully God has provided His Light of Scripture and the Person of His Spirit as our beacon to make it through the storm clouds of this life. May we, who know Christ as The Messiah and Lord, draw heavily upon God’s Spirit to shine a light on our path (again, please see Proverbs 3: 5, 6 and Psalm 119: 105, which I do hope you have deeply seated in your heart).

My Prayer Today: You, precious Spirit, give me all understanding, my Lord. Amen

No comments: