Thursday, September 08, 2011

September 8, 2011 … The Spotlight Stays on Christ

Passage of the Day: John 15: 26 … "When the Counselor comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father, He will testify about Me.”

My Journal for Today: In these words from Jesus to His confused disciples the night before His passion unfolded, … He spoke about the coming of the Holy Spirit; and we read a clear specification of one of the ministries of “The Counselor,” … that of putting a spotlight on the preeminence of Christ. About this in his Strength for Today devotional for this date, John MacArthur writes, “How foolish it is for any of us who profess Christ to then follow Him by looking to our own strength rather than to that of His glory.”

In today’s verse from the Upper Room Discourse, as in John 16: 14 – 15, Jesus clearly lays out the illuminating ministry of His Spirit, “The Comforter” or “The Advocate,” … Who would bear witness to God, the Son, and to glorify God, the Father. And this would imply that we must do all we can in developing our relationship with God’s Spirit to allow Him to illumine our Lord and Savior so that we can be freed from the sin-binding magnetism of Satan, the world, and our own deceitful hearts (see 2nd Cor. 3: 16 – 17). Surrendering to God, the Holy Spirit, as Paul stated in that passage to the Corinthian Christians, causes the veil of deceit to be taken from our eyes; and we can see Truth for Who HE is – and that, of course, is Jesus!

More than once in my devotional journaling this year, I have returned to the words of that old hymn … [and as I write/type this on this lovely morning, I’m listening to Alisha Dishong sing her luscious version to me through my earphones from my I-tunes playlist on my computer] …

Turn your eyes upon Jesus;
Look full in His wonderful face.
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace.


So, any time we are able, as Christians, to move away from self and clearly see the Savior in this life, it is because God, the Holy Spirit is shining Christ’s light more clearly on our lives or path. After meditating on the truth of Ps. 119: 105 [and if you don’t know that one by heart, I charge you to go back and meditate upon it], you’ll understand why I open God’s word unto my life as often as I can – most certainly daily! - to give me direction and why I pray so often in the Spirit as I do here …

My Prayer Today: Precious Holy Spirit, shine Your light brightly, Lord; help me to see You and my Lord clearly! Amen

No comments: