Thursday, February 02, 2012

February 2, 2012 … God In the Humility Business

Passage of the Day: Reference of Today’s Chronological Bible Study: Exodus, Chapters 10-12 … To study these chapters, go to this link -

Exodus 12: 31-32 … 51-52: … [Broken and Believing] ... 31 During the night Pharaoh summoned Moses and Aaron and said, "Up! Leave my people, you and the Israelites! Go, worship the Lord as you have requested.32 Take your flocks and herds, as you have said, and go. And also bless me."
… 50 All the Israelites did just what the Lord had commanded Moses and Aaron. 51 And on that very day the Lord brought the Israelites out of Egypt by their divisions.


My Journal for Today: Reading through Chapters 10-12 of Exodus in my chronological Bible reading plan this morning, I was struck by how deep was the pride of Pharaoh and how patient, yet relentless, was God in doing what it took to show Pharaoh that his pride was the only human element which kept God from getting what the Lord desired – i.e., freedom for His people, the children of God’s covenant promise.

My friend, … do we get this message? God is God; and we are not!! And the only way God is going to prevail in our lives – giving us the blessings of His promises – will only happen when (or IF) we’re willing to yield to His will in humility. Perhaps you remember that little saying my friend, Loretta, who’s now with the Lord, used to say to my wife and me. We called it “Loretta 1: 1,” and she would say, “First obedience, … then the blessing.” And to me, that’s the simple – but very hard to learn – lesson from today’s reading. At least it’s tough for this chronically prideful heart to learn this lesson, which all too often has to be broken by God’s humility training in life. How many times have I had to redo God’s humility lessons, teaching me that it’s so much better – and less painful – for me to CHOOSE, on the front end, to be humble, receiving God’s enlightening, enabling, and empowering grace, freely offered by God to allow me to find and carry out His will for my life? And when I do humble myself, freely and willingly, God is so willing to pour out His grace into my life.

HOWEVER, when, like Pharaoh, I buck up an attitude of pridefulness, thinking, in my mind, “Hey, God, I can handle this one (whatever the life circumstance might be),” I’m in for troubles, testing, and all the tribulations God will have bring into my life before I can get God’s lessons of Prov. 3: 34, James 4: 4-6, and 1st Peter 5: 5-7 [and I really hope, if you don’t have these passages memorized, you will go to them and meditate on them].

Unfortunately, Pharaoh never had the benefit of having learned those lessons, which I have so freely available to me from God’s word (and His truth). But Pharaoh learned – the hard way – that God is seriously into the humility business; and the Egyptian king finally moved from brokenness to belief – through all those plagues and problems – learning to be humble and yield to God’s way and His will.

I hope we all – you and me – learn this lesson from God’s truth and we CHOOSE to obey God’s will and His way, which we most often get from His word, BEFORE we have to be humbled by God’s lessons of trials, tribulations, and temptations, … all those fires of life God often has to use to get our attention and to purify us for His purposes in life. I don’t know about you, my dear one; … but I plan to get in on that obedience business as early and as often as I can so that I can receive – willingly – God’s blessings for my life.

My Prayer Today: … Lord, the more I know of Your will for my life from Your word, I will walk humbly and obediently in Your way. Amen

No comments: